Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dam Cam Screws !

Old 03-27-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Dam Cam Screws !

I swapped cams on my Allegiance the other day, putting the smooth mods on. I didnt over tighten the screws in the top cam and today I cant budge the dam things[:@]......I tried alot of things but am afraid to break them.....anyone else have this happen?
It blows my mind they could get so tight that we cant get them out! [&:]
Old 03-27-2006, 03:46 PM

Default RE: Dam Cam Screws !

Gorrilla!! Press the bow and remove the cam. Heat the screw and cam with a lighter and then unscrew the screw

Re-install with some gun oil when yer done.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You ain't kidding--today my buddy twisted 4-allen keys trying to remove the module from his Allegiance also. He still hasn't gotten them out as yet--scary.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jerry,
You need a quality short, sharp and stiff allen wrench for mod screws......if the wrench is twisting you are more likely to break the wrench itself.
For god's sake don't use a ball end wrench......they suk.
Give it a little drop of wd40 or break free or something like that from the backside and let it sit for a while.......then using a quality wrench set(no long T handles......not enough leverage, and not those crappy $3.99 pocket sets)
I like the good sets you get at the hardware store with the heavywide plastic handles. If you can't get enough leverage onthat screw to move it I'm not sure what's going on.[:-]

You'll never win with mod screws ever........1/2 think they are too loose and should loc-tite'd in, the other 1/2 cay they're too tight and they can't move them?(Then there's me who never seems to have any problems at all with any of these stinkin things wondering if Jerry didn't use an impact wrench to tighten them the last time.)

Don't panic Jer, you'll get em'.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:13 PM

LMAO.....Matt that was too funny !!! I have all those air driven impact guns, wrenches, etc......and you gave me a visual

I think I have tightened a few million mod screws by now and I dont wrench em tight, how do they get so tight?

I see WWAG has had it happen too

I'll get'er done tho
Old 03-27-2006, 05:43 PM

My neighbor brought his bow over to get a screw out, not my bow. That's how we got that one out. These are the same screws that have been used for decades in modules and still will take a seat that requires a little heat to loosen up,,,, DON'T USE A PROPANE TORCH!!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

When you put them back in, put a dab of string wax on the threads. The wax is thick enough to keep them from vibrating loose and also acts as an anti seize compound.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's best to use a 1/4" drive 3/32" allen wrench bit. They're generally machined or forged andthe shorter bit is less prone to bending than a long allen wrench. I've been using the same 1/4" drive bitweused at the ATA Show whichhas seen quite a few modulechanges and it hasn't rounded or broke any screws and it still hasgood square edges on it.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

So is the string wax the ticket to preventing this mysterious "overtightening" of the screws?

A buddy of mine recently witnessed a new bowtech getting "manhandled" at the archery shop while they were trying to swap modules. He warned me not to buy that one as they were working it over with brute force real good[:'(], pulled the cam and such trying to get the frozen screws out.

My bow is in & the shop owner already swapped modules to chrony it for me and now I'm worried the danged screws may be stuck as well.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Danged double post[8D]

Quick Reply: Dam Cam Screws !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.