Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Axis shafts

Old 03-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Axis shafts

I just recieved 12 Axis arrows and noticed that there is up to .8mm of a gap between the forward end of the shaft and the rear end of the field point, meaning the base of the field point does not seat onto the forward end of the shaft. Is this going to be a problem or should I chamfer the inner radius of the shaft so that the field point is supported or touches the end of the shaft? Right now the insert will take the impact of the target rather than the insert and the edge of the shaft.
I will appreciate anyone's comments.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Axis shafts

It sounds like the insert was not properly seated. Have you tried this with different field tips and broadheads also? Maybe your field tips aren't
quite right. I would definitely NOT chamfer the tip of the carbon as it will weaken it. They may need to be trimmed down a hair with a proper arrow saw.
I see you are from T.O., who sold you these Axis arrows ?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:48 PM

Dang Canadians and their metric system. [:@]What he meant to say was a gap up to .0315 of an inch.

Are they glue in points or screw in points?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang Canadians and their metric system.
Don't you mean the rest of the planet?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I really do not want to reveal the shop. Its an old estab shop in Peterb. To make things funnier/more goofy the inserts were not bonded to the shaft. Yes the epoxy did not harden. Maybe the two part bonding agent was not mixed properly? Any ways if I shove the points back towards the shaft it leaves that measurement (.0315") away from the squared end of the shaft. All twelve of the tips have a really small radius that runs into the corner of the inner endge of mouth of the shaft (theres a mouthfull). I am just afraid that the insert will move back and that radius between the shaft ot the tip and the base of the tip will spread and break the shaft.
MDM they are screw-in points.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really do not want to reveal the shop. Its an old estab shop in Peterb.
No need to mention the name, I know who you mean. Look I think you have solved your problem the glue isn't right. Do you have a G5 arrow squaring tool? If not you should. That might just solve your problem by milling the shaft down to perfect square you might eliminate the gap. Buy the G5, especially if you use HIT type safts.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Terry, if the insert is epoxied into the shaft properly is the edge of the shaft required to support the field tip? Could the insert move back? Where can tool be bought in Igloo country?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The tip should make full even contact on the shaft. Uneven contact could cause poor flight or damage. On impact it would likely loosen the insert also I would think. I bought mine at Tent City (905) 660-6885 but have also seen them at Basspro.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Ok, now I feel like a bone head! I guess I could chuck the point in a drill and square the corners with a needle file. I will get the squaring tool. Thanks Terry. Now I have to get all the freaking goop off the inserts and shafts.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The base of either a field point or broadhead needs to evenly and completely rest on the cut end of your arrow. Any uneven contact would transfer uneven stress and might weaken the shaft and likely affect flight also. And if there is a gap then I would think on impact it will loosen the entire insert and slam the whole works up against the shaft. None of this sounds good or safe. I bought my G5 at Tent City 905 660-6885 tell Naz that Terry Malone sent you or I have also seen them at Basspro. I think I paid @ 52 bucks. Great tool, lifetime investment.

Quick Reply: Axis shafts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.