Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carter releases??

Old 03-16-2006, 05:53 PM

Default carter releases??

So i am thinking about getting a carter insatiable3 release... i wanna be able to shoot 3d, target and use this release for hunting... would the insatiable3 be the right choice for this???... a buddy of mine has one and i tried it and i really liked it....but i dont know how well it would work for hunting... also is this ment to be used as a back tension release or are you supposed to move your thumb into the trigger to release the arrow?>?

thanks alot
Old 03-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: carter releases??

ORIGINAL: fufanu360

also is this ment to be used as a back tension release or are you supposed to move your thumb into the trigger to release the arrow?>?

thanks alot
When properly shot, all releases are suppose to be triggered using back tension including the popular index trigger finger caliper releases.

When shooting the Carter Insatiable3 with the thumb trigger you should hold the release so the trigger is into your inside of your knuckle joint, not trigger by the tip of the thumb and when applying back tension your the rotation of your wrist will trigger the release and not moving your thumb.....

Unfortunately most shooting trigger releases with their minds....meaning they think about moving the finger to activate the release usually ending in trigger punch/ target panic, jumping the trigger or whichever you wish to call it....learning to trigger all releases with back tension will tighten your groups dramatically.

I shoot the Carter Hole in the Thing rotating back and forth from the thumb trigger to the pinky trigger...I prefer the pinky but if I develope a bad habit, I'll switch it to the thumb to correct my form.....

When shooting a index finger trigger release you should adjust the length of the release until you can curl your index finger over the release to the point of inside your larger knuck joint rather than simply putting your finger tips on the trigger and applying back tension. Your finger has more sensors at the tips rather than the shaft of the finger, same for the thumb and the less you feel the less you'll jump on the trigger.....

Apply back tension to all your release aids and you'll be surprised how your groups tighten...it takes patience to learn but you won't be sorry.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:03 AM

man, as soon as i get a trigger it takes me about 10 minutes to start drive-by-shooting. don't get me wrong, i can drive-by-shoot with the best of them, but i just can't help myself.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:22 PM

I've used the Carter for years for both target and hunting. It works excellent for both but don't ever think that you're going to get away with "making the shot happen", it has to happen on it's own. The more you shoot it the more it will happen on its own when you want it to, or more importantly, when it needs to. (I sound like master Po now; "Grasshopper, let the shot make itself.") ha ha!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:12 PM

alright... i think i understand

thanks alot