Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Just made Tru-Glo sights into a single pin...

Old 03-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just made Tru-Glo sights into a single pin...

Hey there....

Earlier today, I was out at one of the nearby wildlife management areas, where they have ranges (rifle, skeet, archery, etc...)

Since I recently got my new Reflex Highlander, I haven't shot it beyond 20 yards. The old Tru-Glo 3 pin brite-sites were salvaged off an old PSE bow. What the heck, they'll still work, you know?

Anyway, my old PSE bow was the old slow dual cam style, therefore the gap between the 3 pin sights was considerably large. (i.e. a 40 yard shot would belike lobbing a football!!! )

This new 2006 Reflex Highlander (IBO speed 305fps), is so fast, I mean so wickedly fast, it's incredible... (think about it, I've probably stepped up 100fps with this new bow!) So the other pin settings are obviouslygoing to be WAY off!

I have already tinkered with the Tru-Glo sights and got the 20 yardpin set perfectly dead on from the ground. I was too unsure of myself and unsure of the bow's handlingto use the 30 yard pin. You know, like I was afraid I'd sail and arrow over the backstop, through the trees, and into some neighbors yard! [&:]

Long story short, I went out to the archery range at the nearby WMA. They have a huge 20' high platform with stairs, and you shoot downward into the big wooden boxes filled with sand, built at a 60* angle to you. They go: 10 yard in front, 20 & 25 to the sides, and 30 out in the back.

I used what was supposed to be my 30 yard middle pin, and tried launching an arrow at 30 yards. Man,I sailed that arrow right over the top of the target!!! [] I climbed down, searched for it, and dug it out from the dirt behind the target. No damage, thank God.

Anyway, I tried the shot again, but this time I used my 20 yard pin, but aligned the pin with the top of the paper plate target in the sand. SHAZAM!! Direct hit in the paper plate from 30 yards!!!

Next up, I though to myself, I wonder about 10 yards. So, for the next shot, I aligned the 20 yard pin at the bottom of the paper plate, and again BAM! direct hit into the paper plate from 10 yards!

Lastly, I though to myself, "well if this bow is so fast that one pin can cover it all, is the 20 yard pin directly square on target?" So I took one more shot at the 20 yard target paper plate with the pin set right on it. BAM!! direct hit again from 20 yards!

Sorry for all this rambling... But I am having a ball with my new bow and learning how it shoots from different distances. I am also considering upgrading to a good set of sights instead of the old worn out, beat up, Tru-Glo fiber optic sights. As you see in the picture below, I have since removed the 30 yard and 40 yard pin for now. The green 20 yard pin can cover everything for now until I get a better set of sights.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Just made Tru-Glo sights into a single pin...

butch like i said that is a sweetbow , i have last year reflex grizz,and i tell you i was running into the same problem that you were my top pin is good to 30-35 yards and i have a five pin but thinking of changing sights myself, came with trophy ridge five pin, you keep having fun with your bow, ive been shooting alot now to stay in tune for my bear hunt in new brunswick may 28,enjoy
Old 03-11-2006, 06:44 PM

the reason you went so high over it is probably because of the angle downwards... you didnt bend at the waist properly and you must of dropped your bow arm therefor the arrow was sent way off
Old 03-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Uh, not exactly... See the sights originally came off an old slow round wheel dual cam PSE bow. The sight pin distance was set far apart. I had a heavy old, slow, PSE bow last season before it blew up on me. What you guys would use for a 50 yard pin, I'd use for a 30 yard. My sight pins were almost set like this for 20,30,40 yards:

When in all honesty, the 3 pins should be set to something like this with my new, very much faster Reflex Highlander bow:

Old 03-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using a "homemade" single pin sight like that for the last few years. The good thing is you have spare pins in case you damage your main pin! This year I will probably buy a new single pin sight. I especially like the looks of the following single pin sights: Impact Archery Solo, Trophy Ridge Titan Hunter, Vital Bow Gear Profix and the HHA Brushfire. I'm also considering the Sword Apex Twilight Hunter and just removing the extra pins.There are just too many choices to pick from.