Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shoot frome high elevations????

Old 03-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Shoot frome high elevations????

Just recently I got into deer hunting with a bow. And I shot from a deer stand does anyone have any pointers on judging distance,shot placement,and sighting an a fixed pin sight???
thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Default RE: Shoot frome high elevations????

Always bend at the waist, don't lower your bow arm.

Shoot for the distance the target is away from the base of the tree or stand.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:02 PM

ok is see what u are sayin...
Old 03-07-2006, 08:00 PM

For judging distance. Of course the easiest is way is by range finder. Get in your tree and range some trees by shooting lanes. or you can pace off shooting lanes to your stand. What I have been doing recently. I had a Pro at a ASA Pro/am shoot in Pensylvania last year tell me he ties a thin rope. 5 yards long to his leg. and tie a tennis ball to the other end. Wear it out in the woods or in open area. Like your yard. Soon you will know what 5 yardds looks like. Been using it for hunting and 3d competitions this year and part of last. Has really been a great tool. Good luck.
Watching some hunting videos and shows will help w/ arrow shot placement. Broadside is the best. As far as sighting in pin sights. Your best bet is starting at 10 yards. so you dont lose arrows. And go from there. Remember. While adjust your sight pins. always follow your arrow. If your shooting high. Move your pin high. Shooting left. Move pin left. Ect... Make small adjustments at a time too. Dant want same problem in other direction. GOD LUCK !!!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 AM

Just remember, when shooting from elevated positions, the higher the elevation, the smaller the vital area on your game! A great video that explains this is Shot Placement 101!!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get in your tree and range some trees by shooting lanes. or you can pace off shooting lanes to your stand.
It is better to take your readings at ground level. If you do it from a tree, take the readings on trees that are at the same level as you are.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is better to take your readings at ground level. If you do it from a tree, take the readings on trees that are at the same level as you are.
Very important for bowhunters.

Sight your pins at ground level, and then be aware that when you are shooting from a treestand at a steep angle, like inside 10 yards, there will be a considereable change in point of impact from where you sight points.

Only use the horizontal portion of the distance to your target. Either range/pace it off on the ground, or range it horizontally to another tree at your elevation. If you just use the straight line distance from you to the deer, you'll shoot high. It's worse in close, but less of a factor out past 20 yards.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The other way to do it, which I used to use when shooting a compound, was to set my sights up from an upstairs window out the back of my house before hunting season (which is the same height of my stands). I'd setup a target at 30 yards, range it, and set my pin. I'd do the same from 20 and 10. That way I could use my range finder in the woods from my stand, and I knew my POI exactly. Assuming that I had flat land under me for at least 30 yards.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:58 AM

How high are we talking? Like say if i'm in a stand should I place my sights on the heart area to get a double lung? Are we talking like 2-3 inches or 1 or 2 feet?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

How high are we talking? Like say if i'm in a stand should I place my sights on the heart area to get a double lung? Are we talking like 2-3 inches or 1 or 2 feet?
I think that you should really experiment and find out for yourself with your own particular setup. Us standing around flapping are jaws will never give you the confidence that actual trial and error will give you. Not trying to be rude.
[align=right][/align]

Quick Reply: Shoot frome high elevations????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.