Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Questions...

Old 03-04-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Fletching Questions...

I am going to start fletching my own arrows, which I think will be economical and a hell of alot of fun.
I have a few questions.
I shoot right handed, about a 28in draw length, and shoot carbons...

What helical should I have?
What kind of glue for feathers?
My jig helical should match my feather helical yes?

Any suggestions in general would be appreciated

Old 03-04-2006, 10:44 PM

Default RE: Fletching Questions...

OK, I see you shoot a Drop Zone so clearance isn't an issue. Go with the helical. If you shoot right wing feather you MUST use a right helical clamp. If you don't the feather will just fold down at the shot. The glue I use is Pine Ridge Instant Arrow Glue. Great stuff. Sets fast so be careful. Very strong. I use the Grayling Jig and it works very well. Of course, the Bitzenburger is the Cadilac of jigs, but it is expensive. The Grayling does very well. Just take your time getting things set up correctly, meaning make sure the feather base lays flat on the arrow. If it doesn't simply move the magnet in or out to get it lined up.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Fletching Questions...

just about anyone on here that i know of uses the bitz jig, with a few exceptions. i use the grayling jig and i have no troubles with it, as for glue i just use regular ol' superglue from wal-mart. helical is up to u just make sure that the wing of the feather matches the helical that u are useing, (i.e. right wing right helical). Hope u enjoy fletchin your own arrow, i know that i do. Good luck.