Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Foam season around the corner......your goals?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Foam season around the corner......your goals?

So when does your foam season start? The first big local shoot starts here in about a month. It's a shoot that benefits the locals w/ Cystic Fibrosis, lots of shooters show up for this one and it is (lucky for me) at my local club. Other clubs around here are also starting indoor 3D shoots to get everyone warmed up. I am going to one tonight that has 32 yards indoors w/ 30 targets. This will be the second shoot since September of last year I have attended (Harrisburg was the first) so I am pretty excited to say the least.

So what goals have you set out for yourself this 3D season? I know a few of you are pretty serious about 3D, so I am curious to see what you all are hoping to accomplish in the 06' season.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Foam season around the corner......your goals?

It's been a few years since I've actually shot 3D...I took it very serious for a lot of years until I got into building my log home and it seems I haven't been to one....I've accomplished my goals in 3D and all but took it as far as I wanted to....seems most of the clubs around here it was for trophy's and then turned into just for fun...many quit counting 12's and for those I simply wanted to turn in a clean card, all tens scoring either 300 or 400 respectively depending on target count...this I've done many times. The clubs who still counted 12's, I simply either wanted to win the shoot or be well over 300 or 400 repectivley....Won many and usually always ended over so I was fulfilled. I've won money shoots, threw away trophys accomplished IBO's and ASA's and Cabelas, and enjoyed them all....I think when this Allegiance comes in, I may have to give it a go again.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I had stayed in Hunter Class it would be to win the IBO National Triple Crown title and an IBO World Championship.

.......since I opted to move up to MBR for 06' I have to be more realistic since I'm adding 10yds to the max distance and it's only my second year of competing ......maybe top 20 in the Triple Crowns and Worlds is realistic, I don't know?
I'll shoot for the best that I can do, and be happy with top 20.

I expect to to better in 07' than 06' that's for sure.
Our local league shoots to 35yds max and we are already 11 shoots into the 15 total, so I've already punched 360 targets this year (including Harrisburg qualifying).
Itwas good practice for Hunter Class last year,but doesn't really help this year other than being outside shooting.
So I'll get dumped into the bigger spring shoots without any real longer range yardage estimation which will show I'm sure.
I don't sweat the shooting, it's the yardage that will take the practice.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

My goals for the IBO Indoor worlds and National Championship Triple Crown is to finish at least 5 points up in each shoot.

Unless I end up shooting AHC, I am not quite sureof a "goal" for that class yet.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:03 PM

My goal is to shoot more better. I mean more AND better.
My main goal will be to help my son improve, as he's moving up to Cub this year. Those kids are incredible shooters, for so young.

Scott, how are ya? What's been going on with you?
Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot 2 up tonight........not so hot for a 32 yard course I guess.

Anyhow, I have accomplished this winter the one thing I set out to do, and that is shoot true backtension successfully. Luckily I have been shooting once a week w/ Donny Howard (coach of Cory Monahan for any of you spots shooters that followed Vegas or Lancaster). He has taught me a lot of stuff to improve my shooting game. Bringing that into this upcoming 3D season I think will help me a TON, as my form and shot sequence is light years ahead of where I was last season. I simply need to get back into the swing of things with foam, knowing where the X is, and with guessing yardage. I need a set of new glass too........I have $50 bushnells and can't pick up lines worth a darn. Hopefully some ATB's will help with this.

Anyhow, my realistic goals this season are as follows for HC.

Top 5 in the NYS IBO championship at 3 Valley Resort

1st at Tiadaghton PA Worlds Qualifier

Top 5 @ McKean

1st at Tupper Lake, NY.

I simply want to make it to worlds this year. I don't have expectations for myself there other than to shoot good for myself and to learn what shooting under real pressure is all about. 06' will be the second season I have ever shot anything competitive, so making it to worlds and maybe shooting even will make me REALLY happy, no matter where I place.

After a full year of serious shooting, I am now hitting that point where I am starting to get consistent.......this is my other goal for this season. Last season I had a lot of ups and downs. I had 4 different shoots where I only dropped 2-4 points (we don't count 11's or 12's round here), but this year I want to average this and maybe clean a few. I have more time this year too, I am single now and shooting around 100 arrows a day on average, this helps sooooo much. Time for travel and preparation is key.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott, how are ya? What's been going on with you?
Phil,

I am doing real well. Haven't practiced as much this year as last year but I am still shooting well. I am going to hit it hard the next couple weeks and shoot my best at the Expo Center. When are you shooting? I am Sat. at 5:12pm.

I simply want to make it to worlds this year.
Rick

The worlds are pretty easy to qualify for. I qualified and didn't even go shoot it. I had a bum shoulder for a little while last year. Maybe I will go this year? By then I am already consumed with preparing for deer season though. Maybe I can spare a weekend in August this year...... maybe??? Gotta know your priorities, you know
Old 03-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

It's been a few years since I've actually shot 3D...I took it very serious for a lot of years until I got into building my log home and it seems I haven't been to one....I've accomplished my goals in 3D and all but took it as far as I wanted to....seems most of the clubs around here it was for trophy's and then turned into just for fun...many quit counting 12's and for those I simply wanted to turn in a clean card, all tens scoring either 300 or 400 respectively depending on target count...this I've done many times. The clubs who still counted 12's, I simply either wanted to win the shoot or be well over 300 or 400 repectivley....Won many and usually always ended over so I was fulfilled. I've won money shoots, threw away trophys accomplished IBO's and ASA's and Cabelas, and enjoyed them all....I think when this Allegiance comes in, I may have to give it a go again.
Rob,

We should get together this year if you are going to shoot. I spend a LOT of time on my family property these days, and I think it is only about 45 minutes away from you. I am in Canton 1-2 weekends a month, this is where my hunting property is (20 miles off the trout run exit off 15). If you plan to attend some of the larger shoots in your area I would probably be willing to travel a bit (like the tiadaghton shoot) and go too if your interested. I might be able to drag Jaws (Dan) too. There's nothing worse than getting your arse whipped by a one armed bandit. [8D]
Old 03-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

Rick

The worlds are pretty easy to qualify for. I qualified and didn't even go shoot it. I had a bum shoulder for a little while last year. Maybe I will go this year? By then I am already consumed with preparing for deer season though. Maybe I can spare a weekend in August this year...... maybe??? Gotta know your priorities, you know
Yeah, I know they are easy to qualify for, and I know I will qualify, I just don't have expectations of myself when I get there. I just want to go for the experience of shooting competition at that level, and to hopefully walk away and say I shot well for my skill and experience level. I don't want to pressure myself at Worlds with wanting to win or place at a certain level, I just want to shoot well. If I can shoot even, I will be thrilled.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you make your goal at Mckean you would easily fall into the top20 or soat the Worlds. There are alot of good shooters in this area. If you can hang with the top shooters here you can hang with them at Snowshoe.

Good Luck and have fun.

Quick Reply: Foam season around the corner......your goals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.