Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New setup.... New draw length too?

Old 03-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New setup.... New draw length too?

I figured I'd post this in here, since it has do with a lot of technical bow issues..... (I already posted it as a reply in my thread on my new bow in the Gear Review section).

You all remember how I used to shoot that old classic 1996 PSE Edge Series 1000C, round wheel dual cam style bow??
http://members.aol.com/ammonc/PSE-1000Ca.jpg

All these years (okay I'm a seasoned rookie with 4 years of bow shooting) I have been shooting the wrong draw length!!! [&:] I was always a 30" draw. That's what I was told, so that's what I went with. Anyway, I brought my new Reflex Highlander to the shop and went over it with the guy. He had me do all sorts of stuff with drawing it, measuring me, changing the poundage, having me draw it again, etc...etc... This guy really checked the bow out and my bow form big time!

The very first time I drew it back, the guy was like, "Whoa whoa whoa... take it back down... You are WAY too long! Are you sure you're a 30" ? So I drew a "test bow" with a long arrow marker on it, and sure enough, I am a solid 29" draw.... not 30". I have been shooting an inch longer bow all this time?!?!

So, anyway, we talked about what I want to do, what I hunt, tree stands, etc... and then discussed arrows and releases and general bowhunting equipment and what is the best for me and the best for the bow. He looked up bow charts and tweaked the poundageto 67# with a 29" draw and told me the old XX75 2315's I used to shoot might work but would have to be cut down, but then again why bother?

Long story short.... Here is the latest image of my brand new, right out of the box, 2006 Reflex Highlander. I got hooked up with the following equipment:

Scott Mongoose release
String loop
S-coil stablizer (from my old trashed PSE bow)
Camo wrist strap (from my old trashed PSE bow)
Tru-Glo 3 pin sights (from my old trashed PSE bow)
NAP Quiktune 1000 rest
BEMAN 340 ICS Hunter carbon arrows, cut to 29"
Bow is now 67# draw weight and 29" draw length
and is a work of art!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 PM

Default RE: New setup.... New draw length too?

If it all works for you then life is good. I think the best part of your story is that it sounds like you have found a shop person who knows a bit and is willing to spend the time "getting it right". That is a big plus.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:13 PM

Awesome Butch. If your draw length was an inch too long, then you will see drastic consistency improvments with the new bow. Shot any arrows through her yet?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I just love looking at these bows. don't know why. don't care.
Isn't it awsome to get a new bow? I've been waiting over two weeks for my UltraTech and I think I am going to DIE!
Yup your new bow is awsome!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 PM

When I got my Trykon I shortened my drawlength a full inch. I had shot 29.5" before and based on the wingspan formula and even the way I drew my Ultratec that was the correct length. Then I read an article in "Bowhunter" by Lon Lauber ("11 Steps to More Accurate Shooting", Oct. 2005)about improving your accuracy. In it he said he shortened his bya full 2"and gained more control. So I asked my Hoyt dealer and he said to try it and see. At first it felt strange to hit the wall so soon, but with some practice it greatly improved my shooting, especially when holding at full draw for awhile (no more slipping back "out of the valley"). Even the guy at the shop said I looked more comfortable. I can relax more at full draw, I am steadier,and my follow-thru is more consistent without having to think about it. Also, with my arm bent a little more I don't have to worry about a heavy jacket interfering with my string. I don't know if this would work for everyone, but I'm glad I tried it!