Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2 or 3 anchor points?

Old 02-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Host of Hosts

Default 2 or 3 anchor points?

OK, I have been having trouble with my peep adjustments. This is the second bow I've had set up and everyting seems fine when its getting set up then it seems when everything is tied in it looses its comfort. Does that make sense?

Anyway I set my knukle of my index finder just below my earlobe in the little indent. I place the right side of my nose on the string. I've tried to use a kisser button at one time, but couldn't find the right spot.

Tell me if this could be my problem.I was drawing the bow a few minutes ago with an arrow in it( in the basement) and I think I'm tipping my head down to meet my peep to get the right alignment. If I install a kisser button first to make sure my head stays straight forward then set the peep after that could that help? It would give me 3 anchor points and possibly help keep my head from tilting down. Should my proshop guy have noticed this form trouble or am I just being stupid? I'm shooting pretty good groups at 20 yards( all I can shoot until the weather breaks) , but something still isn't feeling right. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2 or 3 anchor points?

If I'm understanding your post, you have a peep sight and a kisser. My suggestion would be to remove the kisser button andtouch the string to the center of your nose. When you put the kisser in the corner of your mouth it sounds like the peep is to far to the right (if your right handed) and you have to tilt your head to see through it. You should not tilt your head to fit the bow. Keep your head straight up and down and draw the bow back so that you can see through the peep without tilting your head and I'm guessing your kisser will be in a little from the corner of your mouth.

If you remove the kisser you will still have three anchor points;
1. knuckle below ear lobe
2. string on tip of nose
3. sight lined up in center of peep

Good luck
Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Host of Hosts

No I don't have a kisser button now. I was thinking of trying one again on this new bow. I think maybe my peep is too low and it is forcing me to adjust to it. My peep is 5 inches above my nock point right now. And about 8 inches below the top cam ad only an inch and a half below the factory installed string shox. I was just wondering if when I had the peep set that I had my head tilted and now I'm gonna have to have itsetup all over again.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:15 AM

If you are tilting your head to meet the peep move the peep. You should not have to adjust your form to look thru the peep sight.

This is how I anchor. Tip of the nose to the string, the string bisects the corner of the my mouth, hand under my ear or in the back of my jaw (depends on how my bow is set up) and the fletching of the arrow are between my chin and bottom lip. I do not use a peep any more.

If you are having trouble getting your peep location correct are getting your nose to touch the string then you may have to move your anchor point up some where your hand touches your face. Or your bow might have too short of ATA for your draw length. But if you are touching the string to the side of your nose this should be the case. You may even be a bit long on draw length.

Paul
Old 03-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Simple test for you to do.

Close your eyes. Draw the bow to your anchor, keeping your head erect. Open your eyes. You should be looking right thru your peep. If not, move the peep until youARE looking thru it when you do that test.

If you can't touch your nose to the string when you hold your head erect, then forget that third anchor reference. I've always thought that 3 references is pretty much overkill anyway. Nice if you can do it, but not really necessary.

Besides, with how short most bows are these days, you'd have to have a nose like a collie to touch it to the string and keep good form.Or, like Paul mentioned,your draw length would have to be way too long in order to get it that close to your schnoz.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:55 AM

i guess i use 1 pt, but barely. my knuckle is barely touching jaw bone. it is not tucked up in there, pushing, or anything like that. nothing else is touching my face. its all about getting in full draw position to me, not what touches my face. i have a nose like a collie (and an ex girlfriend too), and there is no way its touching my string.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you use a peep or some peep elimination device, you've got two anchor references. The contact spot on your face/jaw is the primary. The peep or other device is the secondary.

I tried that 'string to the nose' reference once, long ago when bows were man-sized ,but I got tired of always having a scab on the tip of my honker.[8D]Never could keep the string from ripping off a layer of hide every time I went shooting.[&:]
Old 03-01-2006, 08:24 AM

oh rainbow, gotcha on the peep/nopeep deal. i guess i have 2, darnit.