Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cutting arrows to length

Old 03-01-2006, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Cutting arrows to length

A dremel works good also.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 AM

I have heard a dremel works good also. I have a dremel and am trying to figure out how to set it up. Do you have a stand that you put the dremel in, or or you just cutting it by hand? I would imagine that you could cut a shaft by hand after measuring and masking it off with tape and then take the G5 ASD tool to square the edge off. Anybody here do this?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: kpsingleton

I have heard a dremel works good also. I have a dremel and am trying to figure out how to set it up. Do you have a stand that you put the dremel in, or or you just cutting it by hand? I would imagine that you could cut a shaft by hand after measuring and masking it off with tape and then take the G5 ASD tool to square the edge off. Anybody here do this?
I havea 3 ft tall square that I mount on flat work bench.The cornerof it hangs over edge of bench 3 inches and goes up towards the ceiling. I look straight down when making a cut. I use this edgeand hold die grinder right up to it with cut off wheel to get as close to a clean (90 degree) cut as I can. I cut it free hand and slightly roll the arrow shaft as the wheel is slicing through. If your going to roll shaft make sure it is up against something that won't move to keepthe shaftin place. Any other imperfections will be taken care of with the G5 ASD tool.You can grind the end if you want; to make a bad cut square, just don't stay there and build up heat in the localized area. Not saying this is the best way, just how I have been doing it so far. Best thing to do is practice on some junk/scrap arrows to build your confidence. I have little pieces of Carbon Tech arrows all over the floor as we speak. They needed a purpose in life.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought I already posted this in this thread, but do a search on Harbor Frieght. I bought their mini chop saw and it works perfect for $25 or so. I made a small jig out of a piece of angle iron and mounted it all on my "archery bench" and it works as good as the apple saw at the archery club I belong to. I spent a total of about $30 building it.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the help. I am going to be making a stop up to home depot to make a crank board and a target stand out of PVC pipe. If I get really motivated I may try and make a cutting board.

MilDotMaster,

Yep, those old arrows do have a purpose. I have some old Beeman Hunter arrows that are about 12 years old that have just been laying around. They are like 26 inches because I used to have an overdraw on my bow.

Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 AM

Tee Jay, I saw that Saw on E-bay, but wondered if was cheap and would do the job, I even saw a couple of the same saws with table jigs to hold the arrow to length ( But they jumped the price to over $100 ). Did you get yours yet? and if so, how do you like it. I figured for $27, I could get the saw and then build the table jig myself a lot cheaper. It is not spending the money that bothers me, it is spending the money to find out it is not what I needed and then it woudl be wasted.