Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New dropaway installed!

Old 02-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default New dropaway installed!

I installed my new dropaway rest a few days ago....the Schaffer rest. Its true........it looks to be built like a tank. Even better it shoots great so far with absolutely no clearance problems and seems to be not nearly as intolerant of timing issues as a few other dropaways. I will give a full review in the bowhunting gear forum. Here are a few pics.............

Old 02-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New dropaway installed!

It looks like the positioning of the launcher arms almost makes this a mini-overdraw...

Do the arms slam into your riser very hard? I noticed you've got the foam rubber pad there to stop it...
Old 02-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Greg, the prongs do hit the shelf and they do "click". The click probably seems louder to me than it actually is, but like most hunters we want as little to no noise as possible. I could move the rest back a bit and perhaps just barely miss hitting the shelf, but I prefer the contact point of the arrow upon the rest at full draw to be as directly over my hand contacting the grip as possible. Perhaps I am wrong but since I believe my form to not be the best I think it helps me.

Anyway, I solved any "click" from the prongs contacting the rest upon impact by applying a thin adhesive backed piece of soft black foam. This piece of foam is 3/32" thick and seems to work for perfect dampening. I actually got the foam at work from scrap material. One thing for sure, there are absolutely no clearance problems, although I will shoot some Blazer fletched shafts perhaps Sunday if the weather cooperates. I really like the easy spring tension adjusting ability of this rest and I truly believe there cannot or will not be any bounce as some have discussed happens with other rests. One thing I forgot to mention here or in my review.....I believe its going to be possible to shoot an arrow with cockvane down if I desire, which most dropaway rest shooters and many rest manufacturers don't recommend.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:15 AM

coug, is it as well built as it looks like? its one thing, but even if you don't get too much press, if you build something right people will find out.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Cougar, congrats on the rest. I shoot my arrow with the cock vane down as this is how schaffer recommended when I first got my tec 1 rest for my ultratec. They said even though highly unlikely, in the event that the rest would not drop away you would still be able to make a good shot because the rest will still be in the upright position with the cock vane passing in between the prongs. DId you happen to get the rest implants for your prongs? These are made to slide directly on the prongs, and they are dead quiet on the draw. They are made of a soft felt like material and will last a long time as with the drop away there is minimal arrow to rest contact. When they start to wear, just turn them a little and keep shooting. They also take care of any noise if the prongs come in contact with the shelf. You can get these from schaffers, or cabela's carries them too. Have fun with that rest, and I hope I have helped you in some way. Good shootin'.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coug, surely moving the rest back a smidgeon to ensure the launcher arms could fall past the rest shelf and not contact it wouldn't change the effective brace height -- and thereby your accuracy -- enough to notice, I wouldn't think.

Of course, that's one reason I'm happy with the Twister Safari; the arms fly right past the rest shelf with no contact with anything whatsoever, making it totally silent.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

gibblet, I honestly do think its very well built and will prove to be durable. It may not be popular due to using prongs as a launcher....I dunno. One thing I do like with the prongs is I am sure I can shoot it cockvane down without any interference. The Blazers should give it a good test.

Bhunter32, I installed the hush tubes from GKF, but will be installing the rest implants as soon as I find them or I will call Schaffer.

Greg, that was the neat thing on my QAD Ultrarest, the launcher sat above the shelf but wouldn't hit it. But I like the Schaffer much better as its easy to adjust and so well built. I may try the Twister Safari one of these days, its an intriguing design.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:56 PM

i think that'll be the next one i try on my hunting bow coug. it looks great. i like the prongs, i like just saying 'prongs'.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Cougar, never fear brother, I am using the blazers on goldtip pro hunters out of this rest and the flight is awesome. The implant item number in the cabela's archery catalog is MS-41-5290. They are 7.99 for a set. You will get the best performance out of this rest with the rest reaching full height about 1 to 2 inches from full draw. I personally like the prong style on this rest because I have pretty much always used a shoot through style rest with prongs and the cock vane down has become second nature to me after alot of years shooting that way. Good luck, and hope this helps you and others out in some way.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks BH for your imput and advice on the implants. Guess I need to get out more, always thought the teflon hush tubes is all there was for "prongs"[8D]. Gonna call Schaffer tomorrow and see about getting the newer style "prongs" and implants just to compare. Maybe Gander Mtn. carries some implants..stoppin there for a moment Friday since we are going out for our anniversary. Wife will love that!

I too am a big fan of prong rests because of using a regular ole cheap TM Hunter rest for many years..........dang accurate though. To be totally honest I first started shooting a dropaway rest because I figured using the Axis/Beman Black Max or ACC or A/C Slim shafts would still give me good support with perhaps better clearance on a hunting bow.

Quick Reply: New dropaway installed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.