Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gaining better accuracy by adjusting bow arm angle?

Old 02-16-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Gaining better accuracy by adjusting bow arm angle?

Just when you guys thought no more smoke could be released from my brain I went out and did it again. Last night I was doing more testing in regards to line of sight, peep height and middle pin height inside sight housing guard.

When I stand flat the measurement above ground to the center of my right eye (in shooting posture) is 72 inches. I taped a red laser beam device to one wall and adjusted laser beam until it was exactly 72 inches on other wall approx 30 feet away. That way beam was completely level. I then got in the middle of room until the beam was right in my right eye. I drew my bow back to see where laser beam shinned through my sight housing in relation to the angle of my bow arm. I found that to get beam on center pin, through peep and into my eye; that I had to raise bow arm on a slight angle up. My first thought was I needed to raise my sight and peep to bring my bow arm level or just lower my peep. Before I did anything, I tried to think if there was any advantage to my current set-up and this is what I came up with.

Since my target height is always lower than my line of sight, I found that when I aim at my target on ground at 60 yards that my bow arm is perfectly level, thus very stable in my mind. Now if I was to adjust my bow arm to be level with line of sight and then went to shoot a (2 feet tall) target at a level below my line of sight, then that requires me to have my bow arm at an angle downward and it may be harder for me to hold bow as steady. Right? I’m not sure about this.

One other thing I noticed is when shooting at a target that is level to line of sight (6 feet tall target or higher) I have to obviously raise the bow higher to compensate for increase in target height, but this raise in bow arm causes my left arm and shoulder to bind since it is already in an above line of sight angle to start with. In theory wouldn’t the bow be steadier in a level position? I won’t know until I move my peep. Sounds like everything is a trade off based on what height of target you will be shooting at.

Have you guys tested different angles to see what works best? What do you guys think would be the best bow arm angle in relation to line of sight angle being level? I want to get some ideas before I lower my peep.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gaining better accuracy by adjusting bow arm angle?

Here is what I do.

I set up with my spine and shoulders forming a "T" my bow hand is level with my shoulder.

Now for any target that is lower or higher I BEND at the waist to get on target the same as I do when hunting from a tree stand.

You must always keep that "T" otherwise you are chaging your anchor point and your accuray will suffer.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

Here is what I do.

I set up with my spine and shoulders forming a "T" my bow hand is level with my shoulder.

Now for any target that is lower or higher I BEND at the waist to get on target the same as I do when hunting from a tree stand.

You must always keep that "T" otherwise you are chaging your anchor point and your accuray will suffer.

Heres Russ, showing you how to do it! Bend at the waist , Thats his favorite part...Even though it's supposed to be funny. Notice the T is a perfect line front left arm to right elbow.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't shining a laser into your eye dangerous? I'd hate to see you do permanent damage to your eyes and not be able to hunt or shoot anymore.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:02 PM

better listen to ausie. if you come to full draw position the same every time and use your hips - even at 20 yards, your accuracy will get even better, if that's possible
Old 02-16-2006, 03:04 PM

So are you using your true line of sight height to adjust level arms, center peep sight, and center of sight housing?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:29 PM

do huh? get in full draw position. if the target is up, push your hips toward it, if your target is down, pull your hips away from it. never move your bow arm, never adjust your neck.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:59 PM

I better get my waders.This is too deep for me[&:]
Old 02-16-2006, 05:02 PM

Yes I agree bending at the hips will help us duplicate posture and give us better accuracy, thanks for bringing that up.

As far as all the other stuff I wrote, I’m basically talking about setting up our equipment so that everything is in perfect alignment or as much as possible. Some of you bring up good comments such as don’t move head, don’t change neck position etc….well this is exactly my point. Using this laser shows us as shooters where are equipment may need to be adjusted to help us duplicate the most natural and accurate posture. I think some of you will be surprised how much better your equipment can be adjusted to helpyou with duplicating posture during target practice. The laser showed me right away that I need to tweak a few things. The five things I’m referring to on equipment are as follows: 1) our natural straight eye level (reference point), 2) center of sight housing 3) center of peep, 4) center of eye, and5) arms level, spine straight. I feel if all these are in perfect alignment that it will increase are chances to always shoot with the same form.

One of my other questions was to see if there are any advantages to setting up your alignment to have bow arm pre-loaded in one position to reach better stability.Just curious if anybody tested this vs. just the standard "T" form.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

MDM.

You really should put away the slide rule and calculator and just go shoot the bow.

You are trying to bring in rocket science and it is not, remember the old kiss attitude and I think you will do a lot better.

Oh btwhow did the test you did with the Gold Tip and the Carbon Tech go.

Quick Reply: Gaining better accuracy by adjusting bow arm angle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.