Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Higher FOC percentages masking tuning problems

Old 02-13-2006, 03:12 PM

Default RE: Higher FOC percentages masking tuning problems

ORIGINAL: newman1

Actually i do.You said somewhere that you are shooting 3" groups at 60 yards or something like that.You obviously can shoot and have good form to achieve this,BUTi would think that in order to fully recognize any gain or loss in accuracy at long range while making these "very small movements" you would have to be using a Hooter Shooter.I can't imagine that you could duplicate the consistancy that a machine can.In terms i know you understand,just like when shooting for accuracy with a rifle there is no way you could hold the rifle steady enough to determine very much,which is why you use a bench.Same concept

Actually with long range rifle shooting I had my best accuracy in the prone position with a sling and bicep strap. The closest thing to that was a bench only if I had both front and rear of rifle supported. Shooting tight groups with rifle at 600 yards then go and slightly change one thing in your load development or OAL of bullet in brass and you will see the results right away. I never used a machine for testing my loads with that, so I don’t have the desire to try a machine with this. With this silly little bow, I have found that if you know you made a good shot, but the arrow doesn’t hit where you were aiming then you have some more work to do. The accuracy at 60 yards just shows up when you find that sweet spot. The thing that is going to drive me nuts is to have the bow in a sweet spot then have my arrow spine start slowly changing during normal use and throwing the accuracy off. At that point I will probably either start buying 3 dozen matched spine arrows at a time or just throw in the white towel.

As far as your comments about making small adjustments and seeing the results I don't do it that way. I make the small adjustments at a time until the accuracy goes away. Then I go the opposite direction with whatever I'm playing with until the accuracy goes away. That is how I find the range of the sweet spot. After that I just center it up.This way I know I'm not right on the edge of poor tune or poor accuracy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the rest of you good advice and yes I will just go shoot it and try not to think about the details, but it's hard because I like this stuff. Just think how much better we can all shoot if we were all getting the most out of our equipment.

Just to drive you all nuts with more questions, here is another:

Is it possible that an arrow spine can have 2 sweet spots without changing anything but the tip weight. Meaning it will shoot great at a stiffer spine with 85 grain tip, then install a 100 grain tip and the accuracy drops off-line, then install a 125 grain tip and get the same accuracy back again? Think about that one for fun.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Honestly, just shoot the thing. It doesn't matter if the arrows go end over end 3x before hitting your target, as long as you do the same thing every time. Work on your form, your release, your back tension, and you will have much more margin for improvement from these things. I used to get soooo technical on things like this but after getting my butt handed to me repeatedly by guys that have 10 year old equipment, the wrong arrows, a $20 sight, etc I realized how very little equipment matters. Get it within reason and shoot it. Right now my spots bow is not even paper tuned, or group tuned, or anything like this, but it pounds spots when I do my part.
you right rick, you right as rain.

plus, we just told him what backtension was about 2 weeks ago, and he said no way to that.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My FOC is 6.6%. I must have a pretty good tune, my arrows fly pretty darn straight I would say.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:34 AM

When experimenting with FOC, while using a field tip, any differences suggest the spine is being affected. If you're shooting a spine that is way too stiff, increasing tip weight won't make as much difference as having the correct spine to begin with, and then making it too weak with a heavier tip.

If you want to see the differences in various FOCs for your setup, I'd suggest tuning at 40 and 60 yards, in higher wind, while shooting broadheads. Whatever is wrong, will show up. Experimenting with FOC under these conditions will clearly show the differences.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:51 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe I read this whole thread.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow
If you want to see the differences in various FOCs for your setup, I'd suggest tuning at 40 and 60 yards, in higher wind, while shooting broadheads. Whatever is wrong, will show up. Experimenting with FOC under these conditions will clearly show the differences.

As far as testing FOC in the wind, Rick from Carbon Tech told me the same thing. Great info and thanks for the reminder. The problem is, it’s hard to find wind or high winds while living in California.