Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS... a tuning nightmare??? UPDATE!!!!

Old 02-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: STS... a tuning nightmare???

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

hunter 25:

It was not my intent to discourage anyone. The STS does pretty much eliminate vibration, no argument there. But I do hear a "slap" that is anything but silent, as so many guys claim. It seemed to change tune and impact point more when I was using it with a drop away. Seemed to work better with the Biscuit, or at least seemed to change things less. I've had the thing on and off my bow, and hunted with it this year. I just can't reproduce the "amazing" results that seem to be posted about the thing. To me, it is a better quality version of the Saunders "Deadly Quiet". That makes the STS crowd howl too, but I can't see much difference in what they actually do. JMHO
Don't worry JOE PA, you haven't discouraged me with regards to buying one of these contraptions. There are certain guys on here that I pay attention to what they have to say, and you're one of them.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 AM

i've certainly had to play with mine on my hunting bow so it wouldn't make my arrows kick.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

I currently have one on my Equalizer. It was set up by Gerry Carter of Circle C archery down here in Georgia. I did gain 5 fps but that was due to removing the string silencers. As far aslapping sound, I have only shot the bow indoors and it is one of the quitest bows I haveshot (better then my Outback). It did remove "all" the hand shock from my equalizer and currently still shooting perfect bullet holes.This is the first one I have hadinstalled on one of my bows so the jury is still out.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just tuned my 06' Chrome Old Glory Saturday with an STS and no problems for me?..........In fact I can't recall any of my 3D set-ups tuning differently with or without. I can take it off , put it on and still shoot the same pretty bullet holes.

I have no interest in this product as a hunting tool. I shoot higher brace height bows with good form and string slap on anything has never been even a remote issue.
What I use it for is in 3D competition. Even at only 60# any bow generates some snap with light arrows and no string silencers, the STS soaks upany accessory jarring vibration and if it gets the arrow off the string more consistently shot to shot (and quicker) maybe it does help with accuracy to a degree by combating human error at the end of the shot?

I do know that I shoot very well with it on, have no tuning problems to speak of and since it is only used on foam animals I don't sweat an slight change in sound vs. string silencers. I shoot without any in competition so the STS is an improvement in noise for my application.

Would I shoot to the same level without it on my 3D bow?Not sure Iwould even be able to quantify it due to the ever changing variables on a 3D course.........now if I was a spottie who suddenly took it off and instantly noticed a drop in my scoring average that's something else.
In 3D it would be too difficult to attribute a score on one particular accessory.

I'll keep using it, it serves a specific purpose for me and for whatI want it to do it works.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Default RE: STS... a tuning nightmare??? UPDATE

Hey guys,

I figured that I would give you guys and update. This evening I was at the pro-shop about an hour and a half before I had to do my screen shoot so I set-up the paper tuning rack and decided to mess with the STS system. I spent nearly an hour messing with it and finally I was able to get it to shoot bullet holes through the paper. I had to move the stopper closer to the center of my string but I also had to be very careful because when set as close to the center as possible, the cables would bump the STS when drawing back. I am glad that I finally got it all set-up but boy was it a pain.

I got a chance to chrono my bow with my new arrows and I was pleasently suprised...

2006 BowTech Old Glory (fast mod)
70# draw weight
29" draw length
STS system
single brass nock and fletcher tru peep on the string
Simms Limbsaver Ultras and BowTech Vibra-blocks
27.5" Gold Tip Pro Hunter Advantage 55/75's with 4" Vane Tec vanes and Burt Coyote Lumenocks....

I was getting 297 f.p.s to 299 f.p.s. This seemed really fast, maybe the chrono was off?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Hey guys,

I figured that I would give you guys and update. This evening I was at the pro-shop about an hour and a half before I had to do my screen shoot so I set-up the paper tuning rack and decided to mess with the STS system. I spent nearly an hour messing with it and finally I was able to get it to shoot bullet holes through the paper. I had to move the stopper closer to the center of my string but I also had to be very careful because when set as close to the center as possible, the cables would bump the STS when drawing back. I am glad that I finally got it all set-up but boy was it a pain.

I got a chance to chrono my bow with my new arrows and I was pleasently suprised...

2006 BowTech Old Glory (fast mod)
70# draw weight
29" draw length
STS system
single brass nock and fletcher tru peep on the string
Simms Limbsaver Ultras and BowTech Vibra-blocks
27.5" Gold Tip Pro Hunter Advantage 55/75's with 4" Vane Tec vanes and Burt Coyote Lumenocks....

I was getting 297 f.p.s to 299 f.p.s. This seemed really fast, maybe the chrono was off?
Don't know unless you weight those arrows. It doesn't seem that far off though.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was impressed with my sts from the moment I put it on. I didn't gain any speed just by adding it. I only gained a few fps taking my leeches off. I noticedsome reduction in noise, but noticed a huge difference in the amount of time you hear the noise. It's a very short thud, compared to what it was. I had no issues needing to retune. I only shoot a hunting rig.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to admit that I was a big proponent of the STS system, or at least my version of it, after it first debuted. JoePa even came up to the shop and shot the bow I had it installed on. My '05 Old Glory with it installed was extremely quiet and I thought it reduced some vibration in the bow as well. After several weeks of shooting with it though I removed mine and, to be honest, I really did not notice much of a difference with it off in terms of vibration or noise level. I have not put it back on since.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Survey says: TRINKET! (IMO)Just like the Deadly Quiet 10 years before it, or a no-peep, or a million other things I've tried and thrown into the "annex".I see no huge difference with them on or off, and yes arrow flight can be affected and you need to tune the bow with it installed, common sense factor there.

The hype is certainly big on them tho!
Old 02-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Er oh, I shoot an STS & a no-peep!?! Trink-a-teer!

The best thing I've doen with the STS is mount it with a piece of rubber gasket material between the main block & ht riser. This seems to have soaked up some of the tink I was getting before the "upgrade". I also like mine about 1/4" off the string instead of almost touching.

Quick Reply: STS... a tuning nightmare??? UPDATE!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.