Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow suggestions

Old 02-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow suggestions

Hi guys. Its kinda boring this time of the year so I brought the bow to work and started to shoot at 20 yards (max distance at the shop). Any how I eventually dented three of my XX78s. They are 27" long 2016s with 100 grain tips.
Is there a different shaft that is less likely to dent? Are carbons better in this respect? I know I shouldnt shoot the same spot but...
Don
Old 02-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrow suggestions

You will not dent or bend them but you sure can break them.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Correct, yes carbon arrows are more durable as far as denting aluminums and they certainly are less likely to "bend"....

I personally currently shoot Easton Acc's...over the years I've shot XX75's, XX78'd, Beman Trophy Hunters, Beman ICS's, ACC's, Back to XX78's and back to ACC's....they all work great....carbon take more abuse...I feel ACC's are superior.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

make the switch to carbon youll never regret it if you get good ones. i was the first person i know to get carbons and the first ones were pretty crappy but i just got sick of shooting arrows that were bent and i dint know it or got messed up from hitting something that really shouldnt hurt the arrow. with carbons its either broke (you can tell) or its good to shoot.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:09 AM

How many times do we have to say with carbons "it is broke or it's good/straight" is a myth. It just isn't the case. At least with aluminums you can tell when you mess them up.

How do you know the same arrow strike that would dent or crease an aluminum will not damage a carbon? You best check them often and sometimes you still can't tell because they can let loose from the inside.

My suggestion would be to shoot different spots if you are damaging arrows grouping them that close. Not that carbons are bad, just not indistructable and perfectly straight forever like everyone believes.

Paul
Old 02-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

i check my arrows every couple of rounds just a habit. i have never ever had any problems with them that i didnt notice. they are not indistructable but they absolutely outlast any aluminums ive used when hitting things.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:39 PM

There is a good thread running in here about shooting the spine out of arrows. Check it out. Carbons definetly go bad. But, by and large, they are more durable. Then again, aluminum is more consistent. Good and bad with both.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:35 AM

Get the best of both worlds and use the Easton ACC's. They are expensive but they are the best arrow I have ever used andI have used alot of different arrows.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:19 PM

2 quality arrows you won't regret buying are CX's or Easton Axis's.....

Old 02-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Spike

Ya i agree with the guys that have carbon...they are just a great arrow. I myself have tried them and they work great, and most of my buddies shoot carbon with the exception of one and he shoots easton axis which is another hgih quality arrow.

Quick Reply: Arrow suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.