Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

To light of a arrows and limb damage?

Old 02-10-2006, 04:36 AM

Default RE: To light of a arrows and limb damage?

You may want to consider that even at 5 grains per lb., you risk more. The limbs are far more likley to fail. Carbon arrows that break upon release, cause some of the ugliest wounds you'll ever want to see. I would guess that the arrow setup you described would be absolutely scary (in a bad way) with a broadhead attached.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now here is the another question,I will not be getting the bow till March,I already paid for it but it's on order.Should I not take the Tribute and buy a Allieigence?I did shoot one of these at the shop and it was chronoing @ 319 w/ a 350 gr arrow.The reason I did not get the Alliegence,was I figured I could get more speed with a heavier draw.
I can shoot either 28 of 29 inch draws out of the Bowtech line.So I figured I would shoot a 29 inch draw and Step the poundage up and see whereI get.
I will try the Alligence again next weekend and when the Tribute comes in I will set it up with .300 spine arrows at 390 and see how it dose.
Also by the way our pro shop guy is also the Bowtech dealer for our area,so maybe he knows something I don't.

And Cougaerman if you new my Brother-in-law you would try anything short of tying rockets to your arrows to beat him.
Thanks guys and let me know of some more Idea's if anyone has one.
BBJ

Old 02-10-2006, 11:21 AM

Since your asking for opinions I will say to take the Allegiance if your looking for more speed, plus I always favor longer ATA bows.

Glad to see you went with a .300 spine arrow. You're going to love the results.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting that extra inch of draw length will give you approximately an extra 10 feet per second for sure,and the added draw weight will definately pump up the speed as well.
BUT----I am a little confused on something.Dont take this as an attact,an insult or anything but how can one shoot 28" draw and 29 just as well.Isn't your anchor changing with the different lengths.I always tell guys to get comfortable with a certain draw length,and maintain a consistent anchor .Besides,isnt accuracy more important then speed if you plan on hitting anything.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 PM

(Bro-in-law) is shooting a mathews Switchback(05) 74 lb draw,29 in draw 27.75 in arrows @ 310 something.His arrows weigh in at 321 gr's.I'm shooting now same bow 28 inch draw 400 gr arrow at 280 ish.
Brother in law will not have his switchback for too much longer shooting at 4.36 grains per pound. My suggestion is shoot what is recommended here, and blow the doors off of him in the accuracy dept!

A slow hit is waaaaay better than a fast miss!!
Old 02-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Extreem,
To awnswer your ?,I'm not exactly 28 inch draw,I'm to long for a 28 inch draw,and just alittle short of 29 in.My Mathews is a measured 28 3/4 draw,when I was shooting a 28 inch Alliegence,my freind who shoots with me said I should try a 29 in. one.We set it up and it is almost exactly the same draw as my Mathews.I had to shorten my release some to get the same anchor point but it was just a little short of 29,but I was at full draw.I had to get used to the feel of the Bowtech but after 6 arrows I was shooting just as well as my 28 in. Mathews.
Thats also why I'm trying a Bowtech bow,if the Tribute is to long at 29 I will change and go to a 28.5 draw.

Roseaukaine,
Thats what I keep telling him,he just says I've been shooting it this way for Year so if it was going to break it would have done it by now.
I like my Mathews to much to do that to it,his stuff he can do what he wan'ts.I shoot leauge every Wed. and Sat. and I do smoke him in the accuracy deptartment.I was just trying to find away to up the speed in a safe way,not dropping arrow beyond min IBO.
I guess I won't know till I get the bow.
BBJ
Old 02-10-2006, 03:10 PM

Will your bow explode if you do this? Probably not, but it sure won't be good on it. Technically your bow should be able to handle what the IBO speed says. Whether you have to shoot lighter arrows or more poundage. It should be designed to handle the power and shock of an arrow leaving at that speed, the weight really shouldn't matter. Physically there isn't any difference between a bow at 50 lbs and 25 inches of draw shooting a really light arrow to reach IBO, or a bow set at 70 lbs and 30 inches of draw shooting a 350 grn arrow. Actually the IBO set up is producing more energy and is probably harder on the bow.

I'm I suggesting doing this? No, not at all. Especially with a bowtech at higher poundages. They are pretty agressive bows to begin with. Unless you want to get a new bow in a few years if you shoot a lot. You will hear the arguement that "Well the pro's do it." Well the pro's don't pay for thier stuff and get new stuff often.

As far as which bow should you get. I will give you the same advice I give everyone else. Get the bow that YOU like the best. Not the one that is the fastest, most popular or looks the coolest. The one that feels the best in your hands and shoots well for you. Then set it up to a comfortable draw weight and draw length and put what ever you want on it. When your done you can see how fast it is if you want, but I wouldn't fret over it too much.

Being a good archer has waaaay more to do with form and consistancy than it does speed or cool equipment, or even tuning for that matter. A really good archer can shoot just about anything well as long as the arrows are matched.

If your BIL wants to tear his bow up let him, that doesn't mean you nead to follow suit and do the same. Unless you have money to waste. I hope he at least has limb savers on it.

Paul
Old 02-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

The AMO recommended minimum arrow weight for 78# @ 29" draw is 454 grains. Go below that and you're taking chances on damaging your bow or, at the veryleast, decreasing it's service life.

IBO settledon5 grains per poundin it's rule book as theMINIMUM arrow weight that'd keep a bow from blowing up and hurting people on the range. It's a safety rule they were forced to adopt because so many people were getting injured by flying shrapnel around the idiots who were shooting extremely light arrows at extremely high poundages in the name of arrow speed.

Now folks think they're supposed to shoot 5 grains per pound.It makes me want to stand up and scream at them..."IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A MINIMUM, YOU MORONS!" But that'd only get me in trouble. [8D]

Gibblet, you're right. High Country is the outfit that was advertising their bows can handle something like 3 grains per pound. (We won't mention that HC bow that blew up at the ATA show that year...)
Old 02-11-2006, 06:42 AM

can't remember the fellow's name on here who shot that bow at those grains, and if i remember correctly he worked in or owned a shop that sold them. hopefully he didn't put his eye out or anything.

its not like anyone here gave him a hard time for it