Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Always Wondered

Old 02-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Always Wondered

I have wondered for quite sometime now why the bow manufacteurs havent come out with a bow that is set for 55#-65#.
I have been on these forums for almost 4 years and have read alot of polls,people's posts and so on and I have noticed that a great majority of their bows is set at 65#'s max.Give or take a lb or two.
I for one like to have my bow maxed out for my shooting.It gives me ease of mind knowing it is shooting to its full potential.I have decided that when I purchase a new bow it will probably be a 60 lbr hopefully going to say 62 lbs maxed.It will definately make much easier and enjoyable shooting.
Now on the other hand if a bow was made to max out at 65-66 lbs it would be a no-brainer for me.
I would think it would be good for the average shooter or experienced who likes the low poundage as well.Here they can shoot 55lbs all off season and pump up the poundage before hunting season if so desired.
Is it just me or a bow that has these capabilities would be a great seller.?
You would have to forget about AMO and IBO specs.
Say for instance,BOWTECH,came out with a bow like the Tribute or Allegiance(maxing at 65-66 lbs)they would have to come up with their own speed rating as one of their selling qualities.
Say BSR(bowtech speed rating)----here they would take the mostcommon draw length of say 29 inches,an arrow of say 400 grains and bingo,you got your average speed.Post it on BC and you know what your goinna get for the average shooter.
So what does everyone think----Would a bow set for 55-65 lbs be a good seller or just stick with the way it is.?

Old 02-08-2006, 02:16 PM

Default RE: Always Wondered

I like the concept.My next bow will definately be a 60 pound bow,that like you i hope maxes out at about 62.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:02 PM

I think 60- 65# is a good idea, as far as their own speed ratingI think it would look like their bows were slower in comparison to bows with ibo ratings.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:40 PM

You know I always set my bows at 63 lbs 70 lb is just too much. Sixty lbs pull will kill a deer. I enjoy shooting that much more with it set at 63. Im not hunting Grizzlys or Moose. Just a monster Buck! Hehe
Old 02-08-2006, 03:47 PM

A 45 lb. pull will kill a deer.

It is just at that point shot placement becomes more critical than any other factor.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd definately go that route ,I've been thinking of the 70lbr ,but haven't made the decission yet because 70lb's just might bot be right for me in certain situation's ,but 65 would be perfect .

nubo
Old 02-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree about the 65# max bow and tried to special order my last one that way- I didn't quiet get what I asked for.

As far as the speed rating goes 65#x 5 gpp= 325 grain test arrow. No need in a new formula.

Although a 29" draw 400 grain arrow "hunting" formula would be nice to see before buying.

I also let down my 70# bows to ~65, but always wonder how it effects tunability sincethe string length, cable length and cam timing marks are allbased on a bow set up at peak weight. Letting the bow down shrinks the ATA at tad bit and increases the brace thus altering all of the above mentioned tuning parameters. Is it enough to matter? I don't know but it's something I always wonder about.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, even though I'm getting up there in years (54 soon) and have had shoulder injuries, #65 is a good weight for me to pull. Don't know how much faster it really is than my 60 pounders, peaking at #61 or 62 though.

Ironically enough, both of the MQ1s I owned peaked at #66. The only thing is, the first one was a 60-70 bow, and the last one was a 50-60.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I'll sign the petition. That is a great idea. Hope some one out there who cares is listening! If a manufacturer is reading this it may be a selling point. You may sell more bows! After all isn't that what it's all about?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

That's not a bad idea. You could get max effieciency from your bow
while shooting your comfortable weight.

Quick Reply: Always Wondered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.