Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Always Wondered

Old 02-10-2006, 04:30 AM

Default RE: Always Wondered

Have you guys really found that much difference in shooting 70 lb limbs at 65 lbs? For years, I've been shooting 70 lb limbs at 60-65 lbs and the difference between the same model 60 maxed out and mine were completely insignificant in my opinion. Some bring up the question of noise, saying that bows not maxed-out are louder. If so, I can't tell by listening. Maybe I got lucky with my bows. Maybe news ones are different from mine. Or maybe, it's not a big deal.

In fact, I used to really like my old Martin. It had a 15 lb adjustment range and I'd shoot winter leagues at 55 lbs. I never saw any difference in arrow flight and it was known as the quietest bow in my league at the time. For sure, one advantage is durability. Your limbs should last forever if you are a a good amount below the max draw weight.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I always wondered the same thing. Why not 55#-65#
Old 02-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

For years, I've been shooting 70 lb limbs at 60-65 lbs
Exactly what I have been saying all along.Seems everyone who is buying a bow that has a draw weight of 60-70 lbs will have it turned down to around 65 lbs.

I'd shoot winter leagues at 55 lbs.
So wouldent a bow shipped to the dealers,being adjustable from 55-65 make more sence in the long run

MilDot---installing thinner pivots can solve the problem like you said,but its extra time,and money to have this done.It would be the cure all for the guy who wants to shoot around 65 lbs and still have his bow maxed out..

I tried starting a Poll to see how everyone feels about this subject,but cant seem to figure out how its done

For a guy ordering a new bow from any manufacture,can he have the bow ordered to him with the thinner pivots or is it a do it yourself project?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Extreme, if your shop has a good repor with the rep for that area and is willing to take the extra time to do it i would think YES, you should be able to order one that way.

I ordered a heavy 60 in hopes of getting a bow that maxed at 64# I did this at the advice of the pro-shop I used back then. The first bow came in pulling 62#- not "heavy" at all. Turned out the rep never ordered the "heavy" just a standard 60. The next bow I received was shipped pulling 64#. But they shimmed 60# limbs to pull this off using "heavy" pivots. Those limbs didn't last 6 months in that fashion. Thanks for nuttin', not a heavy 60 in my book, just a jacked up 60.

Like I said, if your shop & rep are willing to do so and KNOW exactly what your after I'd think a 65# bow could be had with thinner pivots from the factory. I'm not sure how the thinner pivots would throw off your ata or brace though (possibly no accurate documented specs to work from)
Old 02-10-2006, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Some bring up the question of noise, saying that bows not maxed-out are louder.
I have experienced this just yesterday. Ever since I got my70# bow with incorrect thinner pivotsinstalled and with weight backed off to 63 pounds the bow has had ahollow low tone vibration sound and feel to it. I just figured that was the nature of the beast for mylonger ATA Old Glory. The Tribute was silent. Well after last night, I got the thicker pivots installed and dialed the bow up to 70# and WOW! it is very quiet and no shock, just like the Tribute. Took my 443 grain arrows right up to 288 fps from 270 just by changing out the pivots. Now that should put me up into the 80 ft pounds of KE range.[:-]
Old 02-11-2006, 04:46 AM

So wouldent a bow shipped to the dealers,being adjustable from 55-65 make more sence in the long run
Actually, I'd like to see 55-70 or maybe even 50-70. I don't shoot at 60-65 because it's all I can comfortably full. I can pull 80, but my arrow spine usually shoots best in the low to mid 60's. If I was to use my bow on a really large big-game animal, I'd probably want to up arrow weight and stiffness and use a heavier draw weight. The ideal bow would have a wider range, not a lower draw-weight range.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Martin archery used to offer alot of different weight ranges.
I ordered a Martin pride years ago , that had a weight range of 50-65 #.
I dont know if you can still order Martin bows with weight ranges like that.
I had shoulder surgery back in 1995, so i like smooth bows, i found a super smooth bow, The Merlin XS Alpha.
This bow, i can draw at 71 pounds, and it feels like my Switchback at 62 pounds. It's a real sweet bow. It has 70% letoff, and is real quick too!