Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Always Wondered

Old 02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Always Wondered

Extreme1,
You are definitely on to something here. I for one would buy a 65lb version also. I find its a nice compromise. Imagine a 32" ATA , 7 1/2" brace, 3 3/4 lb bow that could shoot a 325gr arrow @ 325fps ! Hell they couldn't make em fast enough. I would call it the "carbine". Anybody listening? Bowtech, Elite ? Anybody?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:55 PM

I'd buy one too. I don't really like to pull 70 lbs. so I back mine down to 65 lb. just like everyone else. Using a bow peak efficiency at 65 lbs. would be awesome.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:19 PM

me too, i took the70lb limbs off my x-tec and put on a 60lb set. i was always told you want to shoot the top end of the bow. what do you think?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think 60- 65# is a good idea, as far as their own speed ratingI think it would look like their bows were slower in comparison to bows with ibo ratings.
True.Thats why they come up with a whole new system to accomodate us hunters.Think of it this way,there wont be to many posts on "how fast do you think my bow is shooting" any more.With a loaded string,and set up to the stated specs,it will give us a ball park figure on speeds then trying to calculate the difference in arrow weight,deductions in draw length and so on.It will be directed to us,the hunters.

A 45 lb. pull will kill a deer.

It is just at that point shot placement becomes more critical than any other factor.
A 40 lb bow will kill a deer,and shot placement is the #1 key to success.
But I am talking about a bow that is rated from 55-65 lbs----wouldent that be sweet.

I'd definately go that route ,I've been thinking of the 70lbr ,but haven't made the decission yet because 70lb's just might bot be right for me in certain situation's ,but 65 would be perfect
Agreed

Letting the bow down shrinks the ATA at tad bit and increases the brace thus altering all of the above mentioned tuning parameters. Is it enough to matter? I don't know but it's something I always wonder about.
Been wondering about the very same thing myself.Thats why a bow that maxes at 65#s would solve everyones problems.No more worries.Its a comfortable compromise between lite and heavy poundage bows.

I'll sign the petition. That is a great idea. Hope some one out there who cares is listening! If a manufacturer is reading this it may be a selling point. You may sell more bows! After all isn't that what it's all about?
lol---Maybe we should get one going.Maybe even start a POLL and see what the average Hunter thinks.

That's not a bad idea. You could get max effieciency from your bow
while shooting your comfortable weight.
65 lbs just seems to be avery popular weight,at least I have noticed that over the years.

Anybody listening? Bowtech, Elite ? Anybody?
Bowtech,you listening

me too, i took the70lb limbs off my x-tec and put on a 60lb set. i was always told you want to shoot the top end of the bow. what do you think?
Any magazine article I have ever read on bow tuning says that a bow will always shoot its best at max poundage,limbs bottomed out of course.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Terrym, That's the bow I'm after- but MUST have a smooth draw.
The 3.74# total weight is one thing I doubt they know how to make anymore.

Bearbuster, that seems to be the common claim, but if limb reliability is a question I'm thinking backing 70# limbs down is a better option than maxing 60's out. Seems the cracked & splint limbs are usually blamed on extreme limb deflection when aVFT stylebow is at fault, and if that's the case I would think 70# limbs could handle more "stress" than 60's maxed. No worries with your Hoyt though...

Flawed thinking??
Old 02-08-2006, 09:01 PM

Extreme,

I completely agree with you. Most people understand that a bow pulling 40 lbs could kill a deer but often times you get macho men thinking a 70 lb. bow (even an 80 lber.)is what you need and anything less won't get the job done effectively.

Personally, I probably won't hunt with more than 60 lbs. Unfortunately, I bought a 60-70 lb. bow not knowing what I could handle. The pro shop didn't help me out much either, probably a hair too long on my draw as well. Until I buy a new bow (because buying new limbs and cams is pretty much out of the question), I am in the same situation you guys are in. Not being able to reach your peak draw weight to optimize performance. Some are able to reach it, but feel comfortable with 65 or so. I am happy to see that actually. Shows we want to be able to down deer, not always impress people with blazing arrow velocities.

I would like to see bowlimbs carrying a max load of65 lbs. Older archers frequently talk about broader range of limbs, closer to 15 lbs. I believe. Someone here might be able to back me up. At some point the market shifted to the poundage that manufacturers are putting out at the moment.

Can that be changed? Sure, but the market has to be there!! Is this the new trend? Who knows. Make your voices heard!! You never know who is watching. . .

Old 02-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

OR a person could buy a 60#er and put the new RCS on it and get 65 #s out of it.just a thought.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bols,

I agree with you 100%.
I have seen way to many times where a guy is pulling 70 lbs and is working to hard to get it back to anchor.Maybe it is the macho way,or they just want to shoot their bow at max potential,who knows.
I personally shoot 70#'s out of my patriot,not finding it hard for me,but I will tell ya,when the weather gets cold out and you are sitting on stand for hours on end and the oppertunity arrises it gets harder the longer you sit.Thats why my bow is set down a bit when it gets cold.I like the 65# mark,feels comfortable but would still like to have it bottomed out.I guess we cant have our cake and eat it to

I will back you up and say it was the Bear bows a while back with the 15 # increasments? Probably wrong,but I do know what you are saying

OR a person could buy a 60#er and put the new RCS on it and get 65 #s out of it.just a thought.
RCS----please explain?

[/quote]
Old 02-09-2006, 09:24 AM

Or you could get a 70# bow and install thinner pivots, back the cable tension off a couple twists and have a 65# bow. The limbs would last forever and pivots are dirt cheap.

Where did I get this idea? Well, BowTech had the incorrect pivots installed in my 2006 Old Glory. With the thinner pivotsinstalled and cables backed off a couple twists the bow was right at 65 pounds. If your bow requires a .200 pivot, install a .100 or .160 pivot and you will be on your way!!!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mildot, great idea. I've two different size pivots in my possession but no micrometer to see what I have. I know I have "heavies" in my bow case and "standards" in my bow.

Quick Reply: Always Wondered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.