Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do I need both?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Do I need both?

I shoot with a string loop, and really like it. I have no intentions of taking it off. But we also installed a brass nocking point. Do I really need that with the loop?
The theory I hear is that the string could possibly slide, changing your nocking point. But with the brass nock, no problems there. But IMO, the brass nock kind of counteracts the whole purpose of the loop. The loop is there so I can draw DIRECTLY behind the nock of the arrow. With the brass, I am drawing higher than the nock.
What's the deal? Do I need both?
Old 02-07-2006, 04:09 PM

Default RE: Do I need both?

I've got a string loop and thats it and never experienced movement what so ever .
Old 02-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, you definetly do not need both.

Never used a brass nock or tied in nock of any kind and I have no problems with the loop staying put.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:14 PM

OK, that's what I figured. Just didn't want to do something stupid.......[&:]
The brass nock comes off, and that's that.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have always tied a nock set to eliminate ANY possibilty of nock pinch.But I do agree that it defeats the purpose to put a brass nock on.

I actually have gone to a tied on nock and tie my loop below the arrow nock.This allows for down pressure while still giving the forgiveness of a loop.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:20 AM

Try tying a little bit of dental floss on eachside of yourD Loop. This will eliminate any sort of movement and even in the event your D Loop would fall completely off, you would know exactly where your nocking point was located.

Hope this might be of some assistance.

Bols

Old 02-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used a tied in nock between the nock and the bottom knot of the loop. When I checked my form in the mirror one day, using just the loop, I saw that my release had pulled the loop up at an angle, so the release was actually above the arrow. Putting in the nock point above the bottom knot changed the angle on the bottom leg of the loop and brought the release down so it was directly behind the arrow.

Once I did that, some of my tuning issues went away. I'd had a bit of a problem with vertical stringing of my groups until I added the nock point.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:15 AM

larry wise told me that, if i'm remembering correctly, single cams like the little tied in pt below, and dually's above - but i could have it backwards.