Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Higher Speeds Taking A Toll On Accuracy?

Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 PM

Default RE: Higher Speeds Taking A Toll On Accuracy?

ORIGINAL: bowtech die hard

I got news for you speed can make a big difference on shooting and accuracy. Like stated before it makes your bow less forgiving. WHY DO YOU THINK a lot of target archers shoot lower weight bows???? If speed was the key every major target archer would be shooting 300+ fps.....but they don't.....cause they wouldnt be as good.
Well this is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of...I just need a number. Where is the cut-off point.Looking for thespeed limit for accuracy. It may not be cut and dry, but somebody has got to have a number like 260-270fps max for best accuracy or 255-265 fps max for best accuracy. I can do whatever it takes with the arrows, just need a number before I order a new set of arrows.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Site Bouncer

I think you may just need to try some different weight/spine/length arrows out before you buy. Most pro shops should have different arrows for you to try out.

Just FYI I am shooting 70lbs at 31 3/4 (actual) draw length, 31.5 in476gr arrows 340 spine at 266fps (chrono) with standard 4in cheapo vanes. No problems at all with accuracy with either field points or broadheads...out of a Whisker Biscuit to boot. No fancy bow either, Browning Rage One......yeah one of them "entry level kid bows"
Old 02-07-2006, 04:20 AM

I would recommend ignoring speed. Nothing about a number will make you shoot better.

Pick an arrow you'd like to shoot. If it's a carbon, I'd recommend spine tuning them. Then pick an adequate weight head. In my opinion, far too many people shoot light heads. I'd recommend a 125 grain head to get a good high FOC. Attach feathers with a helical twist. Leave one bare shaft and spine tune your bow, by adjusting draw weight until that arrow flys the way it should (straight into the target).

This is your ideal setup for your chosen arrow, that will give you the most accuracy. The speed is whatever it is. It will end up different for everyone, because of differences in draw weight, draw length, cam type, arrow weight, etc.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Speed alone will not adversly affect accuracy. Assuming all other things are equal, such as arrow diameter, weight, FOC, Spine, fletching, etc..., a faster arrow will be more accurate then a slower arrow because it will be suspended in the air for less time and as a result is less affected by outside forces.

Until you break the sound barrier and get into the shock waves and all that is involved with that speed alone will not affect accuracy.

As I posted earlier, the problem with getting more speed is that people choose equipment that is not nearly as forgiving as other equipment.

Most people choose lighter arrows which usually result in a weak spine.

They choose ultra light broadheads which results in very low FOC numbers.

They choose a bow that has a very low brace height and then are afraid to shoot it cause the string slaps their arm.

They are pulling way too much weight and can't hold it steady at full draw.

They have a bow with too long a draw length which causes them to over extend themselves and miss left and right.

They don't spend the time tuning their bows as best they can.

WHY DO YOU THINK a lot of target archers shoot lower weight bows????
Becasue they are shooting hundreds of arrows in a single tournament. Attempt this with a hunting rig that is set at 70 pounds and you will be missing the targets in very short order. They have to keep their muscles as fresh as possible for as long as possible.

This is not to say that in a hunting situation the hunting rig will be less accurate then their tournament rig. You are talking about a single shot when hunting against hundreds of shots in a tournament.

MDM, there is no magic number. It all depends on the equipment you are using, the arrows you choose, the broadhead weight you choose, the length you cut your arrows, the type of fletching you use, etc...
Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 AM

Ok, after gathering all this info from several posts this is what I have decided to do. Since I know I have the correct spine for my set-up or slightly over-spined, I'm going to get the same new arrows that are 1 inch longer to put me closer to the middle of the .300 spine chart. If I need to cut them back to get the same accuracy I already had, then I can do so.I'm going to shoot them at 60 yards with 100 grain and 125 grain tips to see what ones group better on calm days; as well as, windy days. After I get that figured out, I'm going to adjust bow from 65-72 pounds to see where I get the best accuracy. Where ever that may be is where I will leave it. Deal?

Thanks for all your help.