Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

QAD ultrarest problem

Old 02-03-2006, 09:43 PM

Default QAD ultrarest problem

I just got mt Trykon today Im having a problem with fletching clearence. I shoot Bohning blazers strait fletch and they are hitting my rest koch up or down. I heard of people speeding the drop on them. I was curious how to do this. I know this has been posted before but I didnt have the problem then. Any helpwould be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:52 PM

Default RE: QAD ultrarest problem

It's most likely a rigging problem, but to know for sure I need more info. What is your Bow draw weight, arrow weight, draw length, chrono speed if possible? Where do you currently have the launcher arm cable tied into? Is it tied into the top of grip, middle of grip, bottom of grip or slide? Advancing the spring tension should be your last resort. Since it's the weekend, I may not be able to get right back to you...I'll be out shooting my QAD rest trying to keep it from getting fletching contact. HA! Just kidding.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:35 AM

hey mildot, i've got a buddy up in Co, and he says sometimes it shoots perfect and sometimes it gets stuck in the up position. he's shooting an allegiance at 28" and 71#. i didn't know what to tell him. is it a fine line to have it set just right? my gut reaction was he just needed a little micro-adjustment and it should be great.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:41 AM

Im shooting 70#. My draw is 31". MY arrow weight Im guessing is about 375 grains. carbon express cx400 aprox 10grain " ,100gr tips, wrap,bohning blazers 2",and insert.29" arrow including nock. As far as the crono dont know yet. IfI get a chance to shoot laterIll crono it.My cable is tied mid grip.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Just out of curiousity do you have some sort of fleeceskin on the shelf, or does the rest even hit the shelp upon release? Reason I ask is on my Martin my QAD was mounted so when it was in the down position the rest could not hit my shelf, it sat slightly behind. On my Bowtech it sits right over the shelf on the down position, but because its even with the berger button holes in the launch position, it can't and doesn't hit my shelf for any kind of bounce. Honestly, I have shot the heck out of mine and have NEVER had any problems.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

hey mildot, i've got a buddy up in Co, and he says sometimes it shoots perfect and sometimes it gets stuck in the up position. he's shooting an allegiance at 28" and 71#. i didn't know what to tell him. is it a fine line to have it set just right? my gut reaction was he just needed a little micro-adjustment and it should be great.
I have never seen mine get stuck in the up position; however I have seen it where it was not dropping fast enough with my lighter arrows and the fletching was driving the launcher arm down. The only way I could see it getting stuck in the up position was if the oil plug on the left housing of rest where it says do not oil came loose and fell inside rest housing and is intermittently causeing binding from the internal parts. QAD has had a batch where the oil plugs did not have tight enough tolerances and the oil plugs were falling out and going inside housing.

If his oil plug is still in place then yes you are correct, he just needs to keep fine tunning it. I use lip-stick on launcher arm to see if I'm getting minor fletchingcontact. Also make sure he has the launcher arm string to the base of grip to help minimize the load it puts on down buss cable. If launcher arm cable is straight out to cable above grip, it causes issues with the timming because in that position it has more leverage and pullsharder on down buss cable toward riser. In short have him rig it to where the launcher arm is going from 80 degrees to 90 degrees in the last 1 inch of draw length. If that isn't working, it is all trial and error from therebased off of his arrow speed. He needs to make small adjustments either tigher or looser to get the timming right. Once he finds the "sweet spot" he can't change a thing on his bow that effects cable movement or the rest will have to be rigged again.

I know this sounds complicated, but once you get it right the restworks great. If you have good quality strings the thing will stay in time and give you no fletching contact.

Let me know about his oil plug in left lower side of housing...if the oil plug holeis empty and dark, then that meansthe plugfeel inside housing.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:50 AM

your description of the fletchings driving the arm down is how he described the issue. i'll point him to this thread. i've been trying to get him to join over here anyway and this might do it. he's an obsessive and compulsive paper tuner, and could talk for days about each paper tear. lets see if he bites on that one.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: bowhunter79deer

Im shooting 70#. My draw is 31". MY arrow weight Im guessing is about 375 grains. carbon express cx400 aprox 10grain " ,100gr tips, wrap,bohning blazers 2",and insert.29" arrow including nock. As far as the crono dont know yet. IfI get a chance to shoot laterIll crono it.My cable is tied mid grip.
WOW! 375 grains with your 70# bow and 31 inch draw length is just asking for it if the bow is maxed out at 70#.I was at 400 grain arrows and had to getthe spring tension internally advanced. My only hope withyour situationis that your arrow weight is heavier than375 grains. Either way you need to attach launcher arm cable to the lower side of your grip on down buss cable. Should be about 5-6 inches below rest/bow shelf. Try that first and read the post above this one for further rigging details. If you already cut the launcher arm cable you are going to need to get some more of that material at the local archery shop...I don't recal what it iscalled, (I'm sure gibblet will know name, size, diamter, etc).

Keep adjusting the launcher arm cable in very small increments and then test. There will be a spot where everything just comes together. Just like I said before, make sure your center shot and nock height is all dead on and then adjust your launcher arm cable tension. With your set-up you don't want to have launcher arm at anything less than 90 degrees at full draw. Draw your bow and have somebody else push launcher arm toward you, if it moves you are too loose and tension and the rest will not fall fast enough. On the other hand make sure your rest launcher arm is not going to 90 degrees and your still pulling string back another 1.5-2 inches. That will be too much tension on launcher arm cable which then will pull your down buss cable toward riser and cause all kinds of issues.

Let us all know what happens...we can all keep learning by each others experiences.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

your description of the fletchings driving the arm down is how he described the issue. i'll point him to this thread. i've been trying to get him to join over here anyway and this might do it. he's an obsessive and compulsive paper tuner, and could talk for days about each paper tear. lets see if he bites on that one.
Gibblet,

That is exactly what mine was doing. To make matters worse it was an intermittent problem and only happed every 5th shot and would cause flyers. I found that Ididn't have enough tension on launcher arm cable and since I was right on the edge to having enough tensionthe problem was intermittent. All I did was lower launcher arm cable on my bows down buss cable 1/32 of an inch to add a little more tensionand the problem was fixed. He also needs to keep in mind that he can get the same results if he has too much tension and at full draw he is pulling bow down buss cable toward riser...that is not good. I think everybody can get this rest to work, it just takes time.

If he wants to get real picky he can spray his arrow shaft and shot arrows into harder than normal target and see where the launcher arm stopssupporting the arrow shaft. I was told 8-10 inches is perfect for best accuracy. You want the arrow supported while the center of gravity is still forward or balanced. If you tune any rest to where your not getting fletching contact, but you are supporting arrow shaft right up1-2 inches before fletching that will negativly effect accuracy. Just what I have been toldby Rick McKinney from Carbon Tech.

Someday we need to make a long post that has all these rigging tips on it so it would be a one stop wonder for all of us. I have notes scattered everywhere.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:18 PM

MDM:

From what you've described here and on other posts, there are way too many 'what if', 'equipment particular', and 'harder than normally necessary'adjustments that have to be made to use this rest across the board.

A manufacturer has to make a product that is either readily usable by the marketplace or can be adapted to unique applications via minor adjustments or offer alternative design offerings. A 'one size fits all' approach will only sell if the 'adjustments' are easy and documented for the 'average Joe'.

The manufacturer can't expect the customer to 'figure it out' or call for a very indepth technical explanation every time there is a problem. Just like the Air-Rest, this rest does not appear tohave a wide enough tolerance for the marketplace.

You keep trying to promote its assets (which have merit), but the liabilities need to be addressed by the manufacturer moreso than what they've already done. JMPO

Quick Reply: QAD ultrarest problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.