Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

QAD ultrarest problem

Old 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM

Default RE: QAD ultrarest problem

mildot tried everything you sugested without success. I moved the cable up and down. The cable is a little lower then my gripand set it so its comming to 90 degrees right at full draw. seems there is an awfull lot af slack hanging. i know ihave a long draw length (31")and i think thats why there is so much string needed but it kinda bothers me. do i have to send the rest back to get a faster spring? thanks for the help so far.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: bowhunter79deer

mildot tried everything you sugested without success. I moved the cable up and down. The cable is a little lower then my gripand set it so its comming to 90 degrees right at full draw. seems there is an awfull lot af slack hanging. i know ihave a long draw length (31")and i think thats why there is so much string needed but it kinda bothers me. do i have to send the rest back to get a faster spring? thanks for the help so far.
If you went to 90 degrees at full draw and then even tried a little more tension on launcher arm cable and you still get fletching contact, then yes it sounds like you need a modified rest. I had to send mine off and get it adjusted, but that was with 400 grain arrows with 70# and 31 inch draw length. I think a 1 hole advance would be plenty since your arrows are 475 grains. Sorry you couldn't get things to work. If you purchased the rest recently, ask them to ship a new one out to you already advanced 1 hole and when you get their modified rest, then ship your original restback to them. They did it for me, that way your not out of commission for 10-12 days. Plenty of time before season opens.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:12 PM

ok, i know what rest i'm not getting.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: gibblet

ok, i know what rest i'm not getting.
Gee thanks Gibblet...way to twist the knife after it has already been stuck in. By the way...the wall thickness of that 2nd knife was thicker than the first knife, therefore it was stronger.

I have a feeling there are at least 5 people on this board that want to here me say..." The QAD REST SUCKS"!!!

Ok are you guys happy now? [:@]
Old 02-07-2006, 05:23 AM

oops. last i heard from my buddy in Co he got his figured out before he got my email, and like i said, mike carter advised him to get it - who i trust a lot. if i've got a question about my machine or a string i call mike first. if mike says its the way to go on binaries - there has to be something there to it. i'm actually getting a fixed position for my 3-d bow, the gkf infinity with tuning gauge - comes with 4 launchers - i'll be using the lizard tongue. on my hunting rig i like my TT standard launcher, no contact, not too much moving,and i trust if i drop my bow it won't get damaged. i took off my dropzone, which i liked very much, in favor of it when i was leaving for a week of hunting camp only because i knew i wouldn't have to worry about it at all, and there are some parts on the DZ that look a little rinky - and i didn't want to take a chance. i'm not saying the thing is bad, or junk, or anything like that, i've just changed my mind about what kind of hunting rest i want. i'll bypass some performance options if necessary for something simple, predictable, and that can take a pounding, something that won't cross my mind for a week in the woods. and while it may have more options, and when set properly, may have better performance, it just doesn't sound like what i'm looking for in a hunting rest.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:41 AM

I have a feeling there are at least 5 people on this board that want to here me say..." The QAD REST SUCKS"!!!

Ok are you guys happy now? [:@]

Yes!

Actually, that's quite a bit harsh. It really needs a little more design effort to make it conducive to the broad requirements of the market.

There, does that make moresense to you?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:53 AM

If it needs more work then why do I love it so much?

Len,

What full containment drop away rest do you recommend for others who do not wish to purchase the QAD?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Site Bouncer

The launcher arm cable is either too tight, just right, or too loose. Anybody with common since can adjust this thing. All you do is slide it down to make it tighter or slide it up to make the cable looser.
Mildot,

I would be a little worried thatthe dropaway string would snag on things while moving through the woods. With the rip cord attached to the cable where it can be slid up or down, it seems far to easy for it to move while walking through brush and such. Are you able just to move it on the string with your fingers or do you have to loosen it up every time?? If so I don't think I would ever trust that for a hunting rig. It's also something you would not be able to notice too easy.....that is until you go to shoot it.[:@]

Edit: I forgot to add, do you ever worry about the rip cord clamp ever comming loose on it's own?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

The launcher arm cable is either too tight, just right, or too loose. Anybody with common since can adjust this thing. All you do is slide it down to make it tighter or slide it up to make the cable looser.
Mildot,

I would be a little worried thatthe dropaway string would snag on things while moving through the woods. With the rip cord attached to the cable where it can be slid up or down, it seems far to easy for it to move while walking through brush and such. Are you able just to move it on the string with your fingers or do you have to loosen it up every time?? If so I don't think I would ever trust that for a hunting rig. It's also something you would not be able to notice too easy.....that is until you go to shoot it.[:@]

Edit: I forgot to add, do you ever worry about the rip cord clamp ever comming loose on it's own?

BigJ12,

I do not have my clamp so loose that it slides. I use the small alen wrench to make very fine adjustments during target days. After having this rest advanced one hole with spring tension, I’m finding that I have a bigger “sweet spot” to work with. Once I get my correct pivots installed this week and tune cams for best accuracy and performance, I will be tying in the launcher arm cable to hole in cable slide. If I don’t like it there, I will put it back onto the down buss cable using clamp. Once I find the correct spot, I will have it served into position. Those I have talked to that use the plastic clamp in the field have not had any issues, but I don’t see any reason to use the clamp, once you figure out what position to place cable. I use it to make fine adjustments while sliding it up or down the cable during tuning days.

As far as the extra length getting caught up in the brush, I’m not too worried about that. The country I hunt in is steep and open. Most of it is at elevations of 7500 feet in the granite rock peaks above the pine trees. These dang bucks in our area hang out up there where nobody else cares to go. By the time they come down, the season is closed. We have to go up and root them out of their hiding places. We don’t even get the chance to hunt them in the rut, even when rifle season is open they are still not in the rut. California sucks man. Cable getting snagged isn’t my main concern; I was more concerned about having my arrow fall out of position while stalking a deer and climbing these rocks with bow in hand. That’s why I picked a full containment drop away rest, nothing else will do. Once this rest is rigged correctly it works great.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Site Bouncer

I was referring to the snagging moving the rip cord. But you answerd that when you said you use an allen wrench. Have you ever used this rest hunting? What you describe (hunting method and terrain) sounds like a perfect match for a Whisker Biscuit rest.

Quick Reply: QAD ultrarest problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.