Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

where do you have your bow set?

Old 02-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default where do you have your bow set?

I really apprecaite your answers about where your bow is set. It is helping me decide what to buy for my next bow.
One last question...............honest!
I am leaning towards a 50/60 pound bow.
The 64 million dollar question is..............do you see, feel or hear any difference when you are at the bottom of your bow's draw weight or at the top of your bow's weight?
The question will tell me if I should buy a 50/60 lb bow or a 60/70 lb bow. I easily draw a 65 lb bow but then again a 53 year of age I kinda think maybe I don't need it or will not want it in the years to come.
Please let me know guys........and gals if you read this trivial stuff.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: where do you have your bow set?

It really depends on the bow. Some bows set at the bottom of their draw weight range sound like an out of tune banjo when you shoot. Some are just as quiet as they are at the top of their range. By and large though, most bows are quieter and perform better when towards the upper end of their range.

Amodern design 60 pound bow will generate more energy than some round wheel 80 pounders did just 15 years ago. Nobody ever thought those bows were underpowered for any game animal on the continent.

I'd say do yourself a favor and save your somewhat chronologically advanced()joints some wear and tear. Go with the 50-60.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:19 PM

With todays compound go with the 50-60 lber. No reason to buy a 60-70 lber and back it off to 65 when you can use the most of the bows efficiency and max it out at 60#. Plus your body with thank you for years to come.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:39 PM

60 pounds will be plenty, especially if you are going to be getting a 2006 BowTech. Check this out...You can put the speed cams on the 60 pound bow, have it cranked all the way upand as compared to other brand bows it will perform like a 65 pounder. That set-up fills a perfect void for those who are stuck deciding between both 60 and 70 pounds. Plus if you want that very same bow to feel like a 50 pound bow, you can dial it all the way down and install the smooth mods on cams. Couldn't ask for more than that. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what MilDot said.60 lb bow is more then enough.
I can easily pull 70 lbs on my current bow,but my new bow will be a 60 lbr.It will be alot easier to pull when the temps drop.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

70 lb bow set at 68 lbs...

A bow will be perform better towards it's peak weight....if you want to shoot low 60's, you'll want to buy a 60 lb bow...you can tweek most bows to just over the "peak" draw weight...I can 73 lbs out of my "70" lb. bow. Today's bows shoot extremely effecient over past years bows....60 lbs is plenty...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:38 PM

I just picked up my Trykon today. I used to shoot a PSE Nitro at 65 and that was pushing it but my Trykon is bottomed out (60-70#) and Im having no problem pulling it back. I believe you should shoot as high apoundage as you can just in case you make a bad shot and hit a shoulder. Id rather have the arrow bust through and hit the heart then gimp the animal. Just my thought.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bowhunter79deer

I just picked up my Trykon today. I used to shoot a PSE Nitro at 65 and that was pushing it but my Trykon is bottomed out (60-70#) and Im having no problem pulling it back. I believe you should shoot as high apoundage as you can just in case you make a bad shot and hit a shoulder. Id rather have the arrow bust through and hit the heart then gimp the animal. Just my thought.

Or get a fast bow.. Mine set at 65 shoots 305 fpsgenerating about 100 # K.E. that's plenty to go through both shoulders.
And thats with six speed bumps on the strings.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: The Rev
Mine set at 65 shoots 305 fpsgenerating about 100 # K.E.
Rev, what's your setup? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere in threads but OMG! I've shot some hot setups but 100# KE?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:51 AM

Rob took the words out of my mouth.......twice.

First, go with the 60#. You can actually get about 64 or 5 out of it.

Second......yeah, holy moly rev!! What you got goin on over there? That's a hot one for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.