Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

is a overdraw worth it

Old 02-01-2006, 11:45 AM

Default is a overdraw worth it

is a overdraw worth useing. how much fps do u realy get from shorting a arrow a few inches? and is that the only benfit of useing 1
Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 AM

Default RE: is a overdraw worth it

Well if you have an arrow that weighs 10 grains per inch (gpi) and you cut off 3 inches that is a loss of 30 grains arrow weight which equates into about 10 fps increase in speed. Keep i mind speed isn't everything and be carefulnot to throw your spine of arrow out of wack.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:56 AM

I used one on my old Browning I thought it was very cool to shoot 26 inch arrows they looked like bolts. it did give it an extra few feet per second. but I did not like the fact that my first bow kill was at less than 10 yards broadside and I didnot get a pass through ,the fletching stayed in the opposite side. So i ditched the overdraw for a heavier arrow. and the rest have been passthroughs. but that is just my experience with em
Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

With today's arrow technology there is absolutely no reason to even look at an overdraw anymore.......they are a thing of the past and irrelevant today.
If you would like more speed and have enough money to purchase an overdraw that money would be far better spent on a new doz arrows that are a little lighter but still properly spined for your set up.

Not to mention that placing the tip of the arrow significantly behind the pivot point of the gripwill magnify anytorque reducing potential accuracy as well as raising the danger level at the same time.
A longer arrow is generally a more stable arrow as well.
For the utmost in accuracy I try to keep the contact point of the arrow/ rest directly above the throat of the grip.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Matt said , most of us old farts had one on our bows , before carbon , to get more speed , but the negitives far outweighed the benifits for most of us , and noone I know is useing one anymore . I used to shoot 25" 2213s out of a 70 lb mathews with a 28" draw .

The farther away from the pivot point of the grip you get the more critical / less forgiveing your bow becomes .
Old 02-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not worth it at all, I agree with what these other guys are saying. I actually had a trophy ridge Drop zoneon my new Tribute. I didn't like the way it mounted on there (set back because of the angle of the shelf). It was acting like an overdraw. Took it off right away and out a Trophy Taker on there. You can pick up plenty of speed with today's arrow selection without giving up forgiveness which is more important in the long run.

Shane
Old 02-01-2006, 02:07 PM
bigcountry

Wow, do they even sell overdraws anymore? I used to have one in like 1988. But you don't see em around much anymore unless your talking about a muzzy Zero being a slight overdraw.