Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

question for the "really" technically inclined!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:26 PM

Default RE: question for the "really" technically inclined!

Worth reiterating iswhat Matt was saying. If your 2nd axis is set properly, and you have to engage a 'grip' to get the level corrected, either your formor your bow haveto corrected.

Newman1:

When you stop by the shop this week, I'll detailthis issue and describe howtheset-up we docan accomodate part of these problems.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:40 PM

so when my bow is in the vise, and i'm setting my 2nd axis level, if i use a level to get the string going vertical- the bow won't be quite perfectly vertical will it? so do i level the string and then the sight, or level the riser and the sight.

in other words do i put the string or the riser in the 'y' plane before putting the sight in the 'x' plane.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmmm... I would have to say you'd want the string itself as the variable in the equation; risers have too much curvature and flow to them to get those "square." Just my opinion, though.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:39 PM

you know, my pat string comes off the idler just a little cocked, just a little, and it never made sense to me that it was going perfectly vertical to the cam in relation to the bow, and i've wondered if its why it looks to me after setting my 2nd axis with the string and sight that it appears i have a small cant. know what i mean vern?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gib,

Have you seen my problems over in the bowhunting forum I'm having with the adjusments on my new sight? And you expect me to understand that?!?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everything I have always read or been taught has been to set the string on the Yplane and the sight on the X. This seems to work well for me.

I also typically set my 3rd axis on a "Medicine Stone" bow vise. I have used the plumbob, and the Medicine Stone is much easier. I will set it on the vise, then check it on a plumbob at full draw to make sure nothing changes from rest to full draw, it saves you from having to get to full draw, then adjust , get to full draw, adjust, etc. And as everyone above says, yes 3rd axis is VERY important. Around here there are a LOT of shoots with some serious up and down hill shots, and it will help considerably if you pay attention to that bubble on every shot.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:54 AM

thanks rick. i was reading up a little on the 2nd axis over at sureloc and they were suggesting setting it by holding the sight - not on the bow - against a known level (y plane) surface. hmmm.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not set 2nd axis this way without thorough explanation on why it's a better way. Iwould be very interested to see why they think this is better. Until then, setting w/ using the string as you Y plane has always worked for me out to 60 yards. This year I plan to shoot a bit of field archery, so I may be able to test out to 90 meters too.

I would love to see what Len has to say about all this.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 AM

i would too, but i'm thinking one may need to drive to maryland to get this kind of info.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just feel like adding a couple kinks in the equation,just for fun.

When dealing with MOST 1 cams the string will run at an extreme angle so leveling off the string will have you canting the bow so you would be better off,imo to set the 2nd axis off the sight bar.The best way is to do it at full draw but this is hard for most to accomplish without a machine to hold the bow at draw so at rest is usually good enough for most.

3rd axis is very beneficial for those that shoot from a deerstand as others have mentioned but what most have not mentioned isfourth axis and this one causes MUCH controversy on whether it is needed.It isneeded in target archery at extreme distancesbecause the bar usually doesn't run square with the riser and if your 3rd is set offthe bar,then it will not be accurate when mounted on the bow.Fourth axis gets the sight pins AND sight barsquare with the arrow and will allow the 3rd to be accurate.

Now that we are all confused,I will back outnow.[8D]

Quick Reply: question for the "really" technically inclined!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.