Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stupid Bitzenberg jig question

Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Stupid Bitzenberg jig question

I have started to fletch my own arrows. I noticed after fletching my first six that there was small variances in where the flreth sat front to back on the shaft.

I figured it was just me when I put the fletch in the clamp that I did not get it in the exact same place each time.

When I did my last six I made sure I put the fletch on the exact same spot but still on a few fletchings they are a little more back than the others. Barely at all and most people would not notice but I am anal so it bugs me. My tw buddies I shoot with didnt notice, and even when I pointed it out they laughed it was so small.

I figured out what happens. When I insert the nock over the little thing that holds it it doesnt snap or lock in it just sits over it. Depending on how hard I push the nock into the holder it goes in slightly different depths. Also when I set the fletch on the shaft I push down on the clamp a little to make sure of contact and the flex of the arrow will sometimes let the nock slip up.

I use Gold Tip XT shaft with the nocks that come with them. Has anyone noticed this and have a suggestion??

Honestly I have not noticed any difference in the flight of the arrow they all group OK.(for my skill level anyway)

They variance is less than 1/16" of an inch so its not alot, like I said I'm a little anal
Old 01-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stupid Bitzenberg jig question

Well, it sounds as if you've identified the problem, and that's gonna be 99% of the challenge here...

Just make sure to push all your arrows down firmly from here on out, and it sounds as if that'll fix everything!

I've never noticed anything like that before (and I too can be a bit anal about such things) ... but I always push the nocks firmly onto the reciever.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did the same thing before.. Right, it won't effect your arrow flight. I now get a visual before putting the clamp all the way down and adjust it before clamping them. If you want to get precise try a small piece of masking tape where you want your vanes to start... I just give it a visual, that works fine for me.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:23 AM

I put the vane in the clamp and then set it on the arrow to visually line it up before I put glue on it. That way I know it will be even with the other vanes. I also push the nocks into the holder and butt the bottom of the clamp onto the jig when placing the vanes on my arrows.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I have had that problem too but it wasn't the placement in the jig, it was a variance in the fletching lenght. Not all fletching is the exact length, they all line up beautifully on the nock end but on the other end they are not quite the same each time but close enough. I have never had a problem with the way they were on ever!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: uphunter15

I have had that problem too but it wasn't the placement in the jig, it was a variance in the fletching lenght. Not all fletching is the exact length, they all line up beautifully on the nock end but on the other end they are not quite the same each time but close enough. I have never had a problem with the way they were on ever!!!

Good answer, I forgot to mention that until after I posted a reply...so very true.