Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Yes or No for a Sight

Old 01-25-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Yes or No for a Sight

Impurchasing a new and betterbow in a week or so and am only a few months into the sport. But my question is, when I buy my bow how much is a sight really going to help me by putting one on? I shoot pretty good with just my instinct.Theiralways comming loose from the viberations of the truck on an old rocky road or what not. I hear that their a pain to keep in tune. Are there people out there that dont use a sight because of these annoyances?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Yes or No for a Sight

Hey if you can shoot instinctively great.... I prefer a sight. that's why I have the best one. I don't have experience vibration problems, never had.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:21 PM

I tried to shoot a compound without a sight and it was not pretty.

On the other hand, sights have been one of the few accessories I've never had a problem with.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:38 PM

my advice would be to buy a cheap multi pin site from somewhere (tru-glow make good cheap sites) and put it on your bow and see if u shoot better with it, if not then take it off and shoot with out one, You never know till u try, as for vibrating loose try a little bit of loc-tite on the treads of the mounting screws, and i have had any troubles keeping one in tune, even my cheap tru-glow once i got it set, it have stayed that way. my .10
Old 01-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My sight doesn't change until I change it. I used to shoot a longbow instinctively, but hunting with a compound I'll never be without a sight.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I won't use a sight on a hunting bow. I tried sights just once and never again. It cost me an easyshot on a good deer because I got caught in bright sunlight and the deer was in deep shade. The pins were so lit up and bright I couldn't see anything behind them. By the time I decided to cant the bow overto get the sights out of the way and just shoot him, the deer took off.

Over typical hunting distances, say 30 yards and under, I can shoot just fine without a sight. Plenty good enough to consistently get solid head shots on rabbits. I've got to be a bit closer with a recurve, but no sweat with a compound.

I've even won compound class at a local 3D shoot, shooting barebow and fingers against some weak open class shooters (adjustable scopes, releases, long stabilizers).

I always recommend learning how to shoot without sights and put in at least some practicedoingit. Even if you decide to use them, there will be times when being able to shoot withoutsights can come in very handy.

I like the gap aiming method used by Byron Ferguson. Get his book "Become the Arrow." It's written with a traditional slant, but that's no matter. The aiming method is what's important and it's even more effective with a compound.