Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newly Designed Drop Away Arrow Rest, Built For Accuracy

Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Newly Designed Drop Away Arrow Rest, Built For Accuracy

I just received a new QAD brochure in the mail yesterday. For those of you who are now shooting the faster bows on the market and are looking for a good drop away that will make your long-range shots the best they can be, check out the new drop away 2006 Quality Archery Design (QAD) Ultra Rest Pro LD. The new improvement for this year was targeted specifically for set-ups that release faster than normal arrow speeds. The change for the 2006 is in the model number ending in “LD” known as Lock Down Technology. Lock Down Technology keeps the launcher arm in the down position after the arrow is released and prevents it from bouncing up off of the bows shelf. Most drop away rests on the market have some kind of bounce up off of the bow shelf from the launcher arm after the shot is taken; this very minor bounce from launcher arm can only be seen by using slow motion video. This bounce up can at times slightly contact fletching on arrow and make a minor deflection in your long-range accuracy. If you shoot “average” arrow speeds, shoot at closer ranges, or are not particular about your accuracy, you most likely will not see the benefits of the QAD LD for 2006 (my opinion only). However, for those who are looking to fine tune and squeeze every bit of accuracy and consistency out of your bow, this is the rest for you. From what I hear they should be ready to ship within 6-7 weeks.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:09 PM

Default RE: Newly Designed Drop Away Arrow Rest, Built For Accuracy

MilDot,

I thought we were tight?! Here you go posting late breaking news without telling me first!

I think I will have to give Charles a call now.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:19 PM

G2,

I figured with all my talking smack and fighting demons that don't exist I would be better off to stand alone. Sorry about that.

Yesthe LDwill be a great product to go along with your new 2007 BowTech that I will soon be very jealous of. Yes I did say 2007. You have a great bow...can't believe your in here reading all these 2006BowTech tunning tips and such. You're going to drive yourself nuts. As far as the new drop away,I'm on the list to get one, but after shooting this past week I'm affraid to change anything on my bow. It is so dialed in with these new arrows that it's not going to be fair. Give QAD a call...great people to chat with.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:38 PM

From the way I read this, they're saying that the spring in the previous models was so strong that bouncing occurred.

If that were the case, when I increased the spring tension even more in the previous models, the bounce should have been greater and caused more fletching interference problems. That was NOT the case. I got less fletching contact by increasing the spring tension.

BTW, increasing the spring tension was not always an easy job and it concerns me to this day thatthe design might not be able to handle the increased spring tension over time.

Interesting twist.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

From the way I read this, they're saying that the spring in the previous models was so strong that bouncing occurred.

If that were the case, when I increased the spring tension even more in the previous models, the bounce should have been greater and caused more fletching interference problems. That was NOT the case. I got less fletching contact by increasing the spring tension.
I'm currently shooting one of their previous modified models and I also got less fletching contact. Here is the reason why: Keep in mind by advancing the spring tension you're changing the timming of the bounce; not eliminating it.Your bounce isstill there, but it isgoing up and back down before the fletching is within it's range. This year QAD is preventing the bounce totally. Mix that along with having a fullcontainment that doesn't drop arrow shaft on bow shelf during slow let-down and you have a great drop away rest.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Strange. I've never had any problems with fletching clearance or bouncing with my original QAD. I shoot feathers and never see any "burrs". In fact I never had to increase my tension. Of course I am not flinging arrows at 300 fps, but my old Cougar Magnum and new Bowtech Patriot aren't exactly slow either.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:30 PM

I really understand the dedication archers always have to their equipment of choice. In most cases, past and present, reading what I've posted is shaded by that personal dedication.

I always give analyses based on many installations/tests. The information and logical interpretation is not meant to bash any products, but to stimulate thought processes by individuals rather than arbitrarily accepting published data.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:28 PM

Not accepting published data here. I have been around the block with testing this rest with several different weight/speed arrows.

CourgarMag I think your arrow speed is just below the radar screen.

When I first got my QAD it worked great withmoderate weightarrows at the shop while setting it up. Then I made the mistake of purchasing some lightweight arrows and their speed was right around 300 fps out of my set-up. Due to fletching contact, I then had the rest modified and it took care of the problem. Recently sold the light arrows and purchased some good quality hunting arrows at 443 grains total weight. I do not have any clearance problems. People with long draw length bowsplus shooting lightweight arrows are just asking for fletching contact, especially with the new BowTechs and speed cams. The QAD LD will combat this issue since QAD knows that the speeds of bows are creeping up every year.It may also come with adjustment setting to fine tune for each persons set-up...I'll find out soon. I have worked with QAD Tech Service several times over the phone and I trust that this new rest will have nothing but benefits to bring to the table. My goal is to have a drop away that supports the arrow for 8-10 inchesafterevery shot. This is key to getting precise accuracy. A rest that drops too soon is just as bad as a rest that drops too late. Being able to fine tune the drop time would be a big bonus.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:24 AM

the bounce is the same reason people have trouble with the shaky hunter.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

CourgarMag I think your arrow speed is just below the radar screen.
[quote]

So what is the radar screen?

Quick Reply: Newly Designed Drop Away Arrow Rest, Built For Accuracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.