Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newly Designed Drop Away Arrow Rest, Built For Accuracy

Old 01-29-2006, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Newly Designed Drop Away Arrow Rest, Built For Accuracy

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

With all due respect, I'll buy the newer version and conduct some further testing.
Soon? Can not wait. Please post back in this thread so it will e-mail me the response.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

my bro shoots one and loves it.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just like the GKF Mirage rest, I jumped on the QAD rest when it first hit the market. In both cases, the problems out-weighed the assets at the 'standard' level of todays equipment needs.
Ditto Len , Ive got both of these rests collecting dust on the bench , allong with a powerdrop , for the exact reason you stated . I think the "bounce" is another marketing ploy . If there is a bounce you would think it would happen after the arrow cleared the shelf . I never had any of the problems associated with the QAD , when useing a TT , or muzzy ZE rest . Ive had some problems with the muzzy on bows with limited cabel slide travel , getting clearance , but those are few .
Old 01-30-2006, 06:00 PM

There are just not that many choices in Fall-Aways that allow a person to stalk.
And the QAD and the VBG seem the only ones that allow let-down.
I am VERY interested in Len can do a QAD 06 review with the lock down flipper action.
Although my hunting set-up is no where near 300fps, so I might not have a problem anyway if I picked one up.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

"bounce"? I had issues with my QAD, but AFAICT, it had nothing to do with bounce. The "Velocity Drop Away" catch, that holds the rest up when letting down slowly was "catching" once in a while. You could hear it, extra click, and the fletching showed definite signs of contact, plus the launcher was getting slammed down into the little pad I had for it to land on. This was a problem, even after I increased the tension to get a faster drop. I finally figured I could not sell the rest to someone else (with a clear conscience), so I took the rest apart again, and took out the tiny (very tiny) catch and spring. Now the rest functions like a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter. Drops every time, no fletch contact, good accuracy. Worth keeping on the bow for a rest I was close to throwing away. If I go for another drop away, it will probably be the Muzzy. I do have a Biscuit on one of the bows in case I get the urge to walk around with a broadhead tipped arrow nocked.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:54 PM

I still think the LD model will take care of some people's clearance problems but not all. For those of us that tinker with our bows, we have to take a few things into consideration. I truely do think most people who are having problems with this rest are having them because the tension on the launcher arm cable isn't correct. Yes operator error.It is very important not to over look this detail.There is no one correct tension for all bows, we have to find the tension that works for are DL and arrow speeds, etc.

For example,when I first got this QAD rest Ihad it rigged correctly where the launcher arm goes from 80 degrees to 90 degrees on the last inch of my drawlength, but not enough cable tension at the 90 degree position. I was getting fletching contact, so I had QAD modify it by advancing the spring tension. When I got it back it worked great for awhile until I fooled around with some very minor draw stop peg adjustments. Then I was actually onlygetting launcher arm to88-89 degrees and I didn't know it. I was getting flething contactlike every 5th shot. Once I realized this I slightly shortened the launcher arm cable, thus makingcable tighter at full draw and BAM...everything was working great. Best way to know for sure is take bow to full draw and have somebody push launcher arm toward you the shooter and see if it moves at all.

Looking back I don't think I even needed the advancement on spring tension, maybe just needed to find what cable tension worked best with my set-up. Once again, I do believe that most of the clearance problems are from those of us who like to tinker with our bows and we forget that any little change in our draw length/draw stop peg effects the tension on launcher arm cable and timing of drop. I first thought that just getting 90 degrees from launcher arm at last 1 inch of draw length was enough. I believe you have to take it to the next level to get this baby perfect on every shot. What I mean by taking it to the next level isonce getting 90 degrees on launcher arm, you then have to play with cable tension. Too little cable tension at 90 degrees is just as bad as too much tension at 90 degrees, you can call this preload if that helps to visualize what I'm saying better.

Also setting up this rest on a new bow may work great for awhile, but when the string or cables stretch it will change the rigging on this rest. Make sure you double check the rest rigging after your first 150-200 shots depending on quality of string. The rest should be the very last thing we adjust after all other bow adjustments are made. For some people this may all be too complicated and too much work.However, for those who hunt in an enviornment that takes full advantage of all this rest has to offer, it is worth the time to get it set up correctly. This is my experience with the QAD rest.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 AM

Thank you for your admissions that this rest is not for everybody. This is where we totally agree.

I can't in good conscience put this rest on my shelves and sell it to the average customer. I cannot set it up for a customer and expect them to come back to me for 'refitting'. I cannot expect or recommend to most customers that theyinvest incustom strings on new bows.

The LD version may fix some problems, but with the'tinkering' you say may be required, have they really fixed the marketability? This was really one of my points from the beginning.

The Air Rest that is attempting to enter the archery marketplace has similar problems. While it is a great idea, the present design does not come close to meeting the complete requirements of the archery market.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

And I for one thank people like you who are willing to provide honest feedback. As one of two (?) fall-aways that offer full containment AND letdown without the possibility of losing the arrow off the arm....

New VBG coming out?