Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Binary Tuning Help

Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 AM

Default Binary Tuning Help

I have managed to screw up my Tribute! After trying to adjust for ATA, I have gotten my cams severely out of sync. The Tribute is supposed to have 2 dots showing on the outside of the limb and I now have 4 showing on the top cam and 1 showing on the bottom. I tried to reverse what I had done, but I obviously forgot which cables I had twisted. The cam has a post for the string and 2 posts (1 inner and 1 outer)for the 2 buss cables. Does anyone know which post I need to adjust to rotate the top cam torwards the limb and the bottom one away from the limb? Because they are slaved to each other a single adjustment will move both cams.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Binary Tuning Help

ORIGINAL: viper4358

I have managed to screw up my Tribute! After trying to adjust for ATA, I have gotten my cams severely out of sync. The Tribute is supposed to have 2 dots showing on the outside of the limb and I now have 4 showing on the top cam and 1 showing on the bottom. I tried to reverse what I had done, but I obviously forgot which cables I had twisted. The cam has a post for the string and 2 posts (1 inner and 1 outer)for the 2 buss cables. Does anyone know which post I need to adjust to rotate the top cam torwards the limb and the bottom one away from the limb? Because they are slaved to each other a single adjustment will move both cams.
First get your axle to axle within specs. Then start working the forward cables one at a time. You need to turn the bottom forward cable counter-clockwise (lengthen cable)at least4 twists and that's counter clockwise viewing it from the end of cable. Then your going to need to turn the upper forward cable clockwise (shorten cable)about 3 twists. Basically the longer you makethe cable the more dots will show past limbs. The tighter or shorter you make the cable the less dots show past limb. Make the appropriate twists to get your 2 dots dead on, even if it requires just a half turn. Try your best to keep equal amount of twists in each cable.

If you get to a point that the cables are hard to slip on the cable end supports. b-line the cable straight to the cable supports, then slip the cable up and over onto the cable channel on cam.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the info. Which one is the forward cable? Does it attach to the inner or outer post?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:05 PM

Dang, I guess I need some pictures to do this right...sorry I'm not explaining it well enough. Take the string out of the equation and you should be left with two cables. Those are what I'm calling the forward cables, probably a better name is down buss cable bla bla bla. Anyway, push one of these cables forward until the roll pin hole in cam is just below top limb and install roll pin. Should only have to push cable forward 2-3 inches. The roll pin hole in cam lives between the limbs. Disconnect the "easy" side of cable, not the side that is all wound around the cam. Do the same for the other cam and your done. Does that help?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I've worked on single and two cam bows before. This is my first binary and it is not as complicated as I was making it. I sat down and drew a picture of it and your solution makes perfect sense.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:55 AM

MilDot - Thanks for your help. Finally got it figured out squared away. However, in the process of setting ATA I think I have gotten too many twists in the string now. This is probably why Bowtech lists their ATA and Brace height as approximate. With the ATA set correctly, the brace height is too large and my valley is shorter. Whith brace height set the opposite applies. Something in the middle is probably the correct answer. Does anyone know what the string rate of twist should be on the new Bowtechs - specifically the tribute?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

viper, not sure... but I've always heard that it's better to have your brace spot-on and let your a-to-a fall where it may...

Some of the more technically inclined may feel free to either back that up or refute it, but that's what I've been told...
Old 01-26-2006, 12:19 PM

Answers from Bowtech:

What should the string rate of twist be on a tribute? Approx. 6 full twists per foot.

What is the string material - 8125 or 452x? 452X.

Where is a Bowtech's brace height measured to - the front, back or middle of the string? Front.

I ask because I can set my ATA and I can set my brace height, but I can't set both of them spot on. Which measurement should I be setting?Both axle length and brace heights are approx. measurements and they’ll generally be different from bow to bow as there are several variables to take into consideration.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:49 PM

be careful to keep the cables going over the cams the right way, every time i take mine off it seems i put them back wrong at first and have to press again.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:08 PM

Yea, it makes it kind of hard to draw that way! Been there - done that.