Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Most common draw weight?

Old 01-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Spike

Default Most common draw weight?

What would be considered the most common draw weight range forbasic deer, turkey, and maybe elk hunting? I am at my bow's max of 63# and consider changing limbsto go higher. Not sure if its necessary or wouldbe of any real advantage. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Most common draw weight?

you can kill all the above easy with that weight thats what im shooting i come down from 70#got rid of the he-man thing and went for comfort and acuracy
Old 01-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I totally agree. My bow has 70 lbs limbs which I can tweek to get about 73 lbs. I shoot this bow at a comfortable 68 lbs.

It's expensive to simply change limbs and at times, is more benificial to go to a new bow depending on your particular bow.

There are also tweeks you can do to get a couple more pounds out of a setup like twisting cables....decide what's best for you but pending your KE etc...your bow is more than adequate as is.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think 70#'s would be the modle most sold and the only weight my pro-shops wish to stock[:'(].

I would wager to bet a lot of folks then turn them down to a more huntable weight of ~65#. (that's where I have mine)

BTW, leave your bow at 63# and don't sweat it IMHO.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the club where I shoot the majority of male, adult archers have their hunting draw weights between 65 and 70 lbs. The adult ladies are in the 50 to 55 lb. range for hunting setups, but both the men and women shoot frequently year round, not just before hunting season. The occasional or recreational shooters weight may be quite different than the competition or year round shooter.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

my guess the average for most men would be around 60-65 lbs.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Spike

I posed this question to a couplelocal archery pro shopsand was toldmuchthe same. This is a new Ross CR334which I received as a gift. So I didn't have the option to choose the weight or draw setup, although both are verymuch dead on. I also contactedROSS Customer Service and they will exchange the limbs for a very minimal cost so thats not an issue.

Everything that I have read regardingweight settings all agreethat a bow performs at itsbest when set to themax weight setting or just a couple #'s below.

Based on what was discussedhere and from other sources, I believeI will leave well enough alone.I was also advised that using too much weight causes fatigue when shooting which directly reflects on accuracy and attributes to poorshooting habits.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:11 PM

I completely agree with the pro shops input.

Does that make me a pro?

Really, I wouldn't change a thing. I plan on being at 60 lbs before hunting season rolls around, currently at 50 lbs. on a 60-70 lb set oflimbs.

Is it probably stupid? Yeah.

Is it my fault? No.

He sold me the bow. Told me it fit me fine!

This was my first bow, couldn't pull the bow back at 55 or 60 lbs. He backed it down to 50 lbs.

My local pro shop told me it was fine so I am riding on his opinion not necessarily what I think is right.

So that brings me back to my question, does that make me a pro?

In the end, do what you feel comfortable with. Not what that 80 pound tough guy is drawing back next to ya.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveC

I think 70#'s would be the modle most sold and the only weight my pro-shops wish to stock[:'(].
I find this true as well, especilly with the "super" stores and yet every winter they have an over stock of 70# bows that they are blowing out.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

I do find the 60 lb. and 70 peak range of almost all bows on the market being a disadvantage. In yesteryear it was common to be able to order or find bows in the 50-65 lb. range but no more. To the best of my knowledge Martin still makes bows to that range, at least on the Slayer and most likely custom ordered. Perhaps other bow companies can do the same....I don't know or haven't inquired, maybe some do, but I sure wish they would offer that option. I find that 60 lbs. is a little less than I desire, but 70 is a little too much. I'd love to have a true 65 lb. bow maxed out for peak performance.

Quick Reply: Most common draw weight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.