Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A day at the pro-shop (long & boring)

Old 01-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A day at the pro-shop (long & boring)

Well I spent some time at the pro shop today mostly to try and figure out why my 70# limbed Patriot is maxing out at 76# with everything set to factory specs. (I didn’t get very far)

While I was there I test shot the Tribute, Allegiance, Tomcat, Switchback and Switchback XT. All bows were shot at 70# and 29” draw (xcpt the SB).

I was a little surprised with two things. One was the bow that stood out as a sleeper and the other was how smooth my bow was when compared to all the newcomers.

Here are my thoughts-

Tribute - I’ll admit the Tribute was nice, smooth and shock free with the lightest amount of hand buzz in the group. It had a solid wall and felt good in my hands. Although it had the smooth modules it still felt stiffer on the front end than my Patriot did. It shot my homebrew 350 grain arrow at 300 fps. After reading a thread on AT about the letoff & the binaries we scaled the bow and it was only holding 70% letoff instead of 80%, so there could be some speed missing there. ( shot this bow ~15 times). If I was forced to give up my Patriot tomorrow this bow would easily replace it, BUT it is in no way anywhere near better enough to go swapping just to get it. Even though the ATA is 1.5” shorter the overall bow is only ~1/2-3/4” shorter due to the size of the binaries. My excuse to buy a Tribute because I wanted a shorter bow was soon erased when I did the side by side comparison.

Allegiance- Drew about like the Tribute, but during the shot there was a definite tuning fork feel coming from the below the grip of the bow. Not near as smooth during the shot as the Tribute. Nothing that a good stabilizer or STS couldn’t fix, but it was there. (shot this bow ~5 times) I predict next year this bow will go beyond parallel just like the Tribute.

Switcback- felt like it did last time I shot it- just like my Patriot only the draw weight peaked sooner. Dead in hand, smooth draw, smooth bow. (Shot this bow 5 times, it was a 30” draw at 66#- shop tech’s bow). I can see why so many Switchback owners love their bow.

SwithcbackXT- theATA on this bow was just right, only problem was the spongy wall. I’m not sure if it’s the exact same cam as the regular switchback or not, but its wall was very spongy feeling. Looking at the cam it’s evident that they designed it to be this way. Where the cable comes around to its stopping point could have been machined flat like a Diamonds cam is (they have one hard wall for not having a draw stop), instead it has a gradual curve to it. I can only imagine this was designed this way to accommodate archers who shoot back tension style releases. There was also a string/cable grinding/binding feel towards the very end of the draw. I’m not sure what was causing it, but this grinding feel was a deal breaker for my friend who was bow shopping. He could feel it; I could feel it- we weren’t dreaming. If they could smooth out that grind and put a harder wall on the cam it would be a winner.
This bow shot my 350 grain arrow at 288fps (this bow had a peep & rubber tubing tied in). This 29” draw drew ~.25” longer than the Bowtech’s 29” draw.
Holding this bow next to my Patriot they felt about the same weight wise.

The surprise of the day was the TOMCAT. We snagged it up right before leaving just for grins and low and behold it felt great. Rigged out with the package it was smoother during the shot than the Allegiance was even though the Tomcat had the quiver attached! Although it had the speed modules we couldn’t feel much of a difference in its draw compared to the other two Binaries. (This may be due to the limb deflection/ limb angle –don’t know). It shot the 350 grain arrow at 290 fps with the peep sight installed- 2fps faster than the comprarable equipped XT. Bowtech selling this bow as a lower priced kit bow does it no justice & could hurt its reputation in the end, although it won’t hurt its sales on bit. This pro-shop in particular caters to the Mathews crowd, but supposedly sold more Tomcats last year than any other bow. Put a wood grip on this bow & I’d be happy to own one. Funny thing is THIS IS THE BOW THAT'S ON MY MIND! Weird isn't it.........

I’m not sure if it’s the dealers fault, area reps fault or bowtechs fault, but to me if one of the selling points of a new bow is going to be the ability to adjust the feel of the force draw curve via modules the shop should carry an ample supply of both styles. It would be real nice to swap modules back and forth between 60 & 70 pound bows so you could decide which set-up was right for you. Instead they had what came on them, nothing more.

If I can’t get my issues worked out with my Patriot I have some soul searching to do. Although I really my bow I want it to be right, not max at 76# which doesn’t allow me to let it down to the 65# and below I’d rather shoot at. We broke it down and made sure it had the standard rockers in it. The Bowtechy on the phone told me I had the option of shipping it back to them so they could figure it out. Sounds great to me, but when my shop got the RA# from the state rep my shop was warned I may be hit with a $25.00 labor fee of some sort. This has me very concerned and since its Friday I have to wonder about this all weekend. No $25 won't break me, it's the principleof the matter. I'm already having to strip my bow (which is on its second set of limbs), ship it and choke on those charges. Kicking me in the gut while I'm down just doesn't sit right with me.I'm holding my breath untilI talk with someone on Monday.

Oh well, time will tell.
I do know this much, I would be happy with a Tribute, Switchback or Tomcat. Those are my picks if I was shopping today. If I can get my Patriot shooting ~70# max at factory specs I’d just assume stick with it. Like I said, time will tell.....
Old 01-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A day at the pro-shop (long & boring)

Good, honest, unbiased post. There are a lot of great bows out there.

Just goes to prove you have to shoot them all with an open mind.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 PM

Nice report Dave. Hopefully you can get that patriot figured out. You don't have a set of heavy limbs do you? Maybe 60 lb limbs on your bow would be perfect right at 65-66 lbs of draw force. Anyway hope you get it figured out.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

MO, I'd be pleased as punch if this bow was maxing at 65-66# with a set of heavy 60 limbs in it as that is exactly what I ordered when I requested this bow. Instead of providing me with "heavy 60" limbs I received a bow with heavy rockers placed under regular 60# limbs, They only lasted ~6 months (shootind a 405 grain arrow, bowmaster style press).

Oddly enough if I was ordering a bow today it would be a 60#er. I'd rather not order anymore & should have bought the original Patriot off the rack I test shot the day i went shopping. That way I know what I'm getting.

I own a 59#maxed bow and it draws way too easy. 65 feels just right, so I figured anywhere between 62 & 65 would make me smile.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure they checked this out, but could there be extra twists in your cables. Did they take measurments to see if your axle to axle and brace height were correct?

Shane
Old 01-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sr77- yep, off the string my cable was within 1/8 of an inch of the recommended length. Once on the bow I twist it up & down to acheive the proper cam timing as specified in the manual. When i tried adjusting the cam closer to where the tech said it should be the poundage only increases ( it was within an eigth of an inch of where I had it).

Thanks for the guess though.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:59 PM

i just got a tomkat and reading your opinion on was great i love it accurate as anything ive evr shot all around great bow and it did not cost 700 bucks lol
Old 01-22-2006, 07:22 PM

I was wondering ?? You liked the Tomcat, I wonder if a guy could change the handles out??? Nice price on the Tomcat, what are they going for in your area????
Old 01-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes the Tomcat was quite the surprise.It was only lacking 10 fps from the speed of the Tribute (although they did sport different modules) and the Tomcat did have the peep installed while the Tribute did not (this could bring it to within 5 fps). Looking at the huge brace the Tomcat offers I think it would make a heck of a hunting bow.

One thing I have to mention is the timing marks (5 or 6 dots on side of cam)on the Tribute were at two dot's exposed while the Tomcats had all exposed. I'm not sure if one bow was "tuned" while the other may have been way out of whack. They both felt good to draw and shoot so I'm not sure how far off either was.

Although I didn't see any price tags another shopper told me $550.
That is with all the kit stuff on it.
I sure wish they'd offer it without the kit as the only thing I saw I'd keep were the sling & the quiver.
I've got a spare sling, so I'd only need a quiver- it was all black so I'd replace it to. Hence, the kit would find it's way to my spare parts pile or for sale.

Anyhow, yes you can replace the handles, I'm not saying I've ever done it with a Tomcat. I just know diamond sells them as an option & there are custom grip makers out there that sell grips to your desired style- Loesch is one name that comes to mind. google "custom bow grips"- there are several out there.

I'd definately shoot one before buying your next bow if your in the market. It just may surprise you too.

I just checked huntersfriend.com & it's listed at $529.00- I'm not sure if shops sell above the listed price or not??
Old 01-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just thought of another variable- the Tomcat was using the kit provided Wisker Biscuit rest & the Tribute was using a trap door. Add another 1-2 fps to the Tomcat's speed............