Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

draw lenth ?

Old 01-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Default draw lenth ?

What's the best way to get a really close idea of my draw lenth without seeing the pro shop first. I'm lookin at buying a new bow. The bow i shoot now has a 32 inch draw and it's really big. I'm shooting instinctive with fingers now. I was lookin at the reflex excursion, but the draw length is only 30 inches. i measured from finger tip to finger tip and it was about 72. Does shooting with a release shorten or lengthen your draw length. I don't know if i'm going to shoot this bow instinctive or with sights. I've always been raised instinctive, but really want to start hunting with sights and release etc.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: draw lenth ?

I have heard of two different methods for figuring draw length. The first is wingspan minus 15, divided by 2. With your wingspan being 72'' that comes to 28.5'' draw length.

The second method is wingspan divided by 2 1/2. that comes to 28.8'' draw length.

I know this will get you close with a release, but as far as shooting with fingers goes, I'll have to let a finger shooter answer that.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:53 PM

leow, for a finger shooter it's ----wingspan divided by 2.5 +1". In other words about 29-29.5 for you.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe cwoods is closer to where you will end up , 28 3/4 to 29 inches , it could be off an inch or more depending on many variables .
Old 01-18-2006, 07:03 AM

You dont even have to measure your wing span for a rough estimate since a properly proportioned adut humans wing span will be the same as his height.

Height - 15 / 2 = draw length.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 AM

I would contest your theory of not even measuring the wingspan. Just for a simple reason called, unproportional adults.

I am really close to 5'10" but my wingspan is 73 inches, or do the math, 6'1".

Since it doesn't take a math degree to figure out the length of your wingspan, just another person who is able to hold a measuring tape, I think your best bet would to measure out your wingspan and divide by 2.5

An even better way would to go to a pro shop that understands what they are doing and get fitted by them.

But then again, those are hard to come by in itself.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leow, there is no all inclusive formula to establish a correct draw length. The best reference is to have the bow of your choice set up with rest and nock set. Draw a full length arrow and mark the end taking into consideration of where the broadhead is in relation to your bow hand. Riser design, reflex or deflex, the rest location on the riser and limb design will all reflect on draw length. A very close reference for the fingers shooter without a bow is to get into position as if you are at full draw and anchored. Have someone measure from the crotch in you string hand to the crotch of your bow hand. You will be within ½” of you correct draw length for a fingers shooter.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:02 AM

Forget the formulas! My drawlength using the "wingspan" formula is 29.5", and using the "yardstick from the throat" is 28". I shoot at 28.5" with a loop (which adds about 1/2"). If you're serious about getting a properly fitted bow you need to go shoot a couple and see (or "feel") what is best for you! Better too short than too long.