Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon vs alum.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:10 PM

Default carbon vs alum.

as far as hunting arrows go for whittail deer, what's better to use. I know their is alot to do with KE and the head, but what seems to work best. I'm worried that with carbon it will be to light and not get penetration on a poor shot like one in the shoulder. what do you all think. i want to calculate KE but i can't because nobody in this town as a crono graph. and their is no local bow shops. what would you say the minimun arrow weight for deer should be.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Default RE: carbon vs alum.

I will give you my opinions, and they are only opinions. I personally feel after using both kinds aluminums are better arrows for the money as far as consistancy and quality control goes. Carbons are tougher and can be had in lighter weights though. Now a days you can also get fairly heavy arrows in carbons if you want them.

I will give you another opinion, don't worry about your KE or how fast your bow shoots. It won't make you shoot better. If you have a modern compound drawing more than 25 inches and 40 lbs of draw weight you have enough to kill deer at normal bowhunting ranges.

Most often you will hear 400 grn as a minimum for hunting arrow weight. I would tend to agree with this. However if you have a bow that produces quite a bit of energy it really doesn't matter much. Chances are though if you have a bow developing that kind of energy your arrows will weigh 400 grns in order to get them to spine right. Not always though.

Heavier arrows are generally more quiet and better for your bow as well. I have a 26 inch draw with about 55 lbs of draw weight with a bowtech mighty might. I shoot 450 grn aluminum arrows. It isn't very fast, but it's VERY quiet and shock free.

Paul
Old 01-16-2006, 09:26 PM

What Paul said is true. If weight is your concern then you can do some homework. Get on the various arrow makers' websites and you'll find that there are carbon arrows that weigh as much or more than most aluminum.

Either arrow will do a good job. I think where most guys go wrong is worrying about weight and Kinetic Energy. They crunch all the numbers and go buy some cheap arrow that does not have consistent qualities. Of course, many of them are shooting $700 bows, but inferior arrows, when the arrow is what delivers the broadhead to the intended target. All the bow does is launch it at a given speed.

Whichever you choose just get the best you can afford.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer aluminum arrow for hunting and target. Carbons are fine for 3-D shoots, but I have no faith in them for hunting or target. Quality aluminum arrows like the XX-78's are streighter than carbons and very durable.