Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

adding speed, or new bow

Old 01-17-2006, 06:03 PM

Default RE: adding speed, or new bow

thanks. I still don't know what to do. I know i'm going to buy a new bow. I'm lookin at the relex excursion. it's got the large brace height, but a short ATA lenth something like 34. Is the short ATA going to make the bow unforgiving. The 8 3/8 bace height should be forgiving enough to shoot fingers. Another question is that if i have a 29 inch draw, i add an inch for finger shooting right. and if i shot with a release, it would just be 29. I think that is a good bow to try. I could shoot it with fingers and if i still can't hit anything i can put sights on it and have a ripping bow.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:53 PM

A new bow is the only way to go..
Old 01-17-2006, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: leow

thanks. I still don't know what to do. I know i'm going to buy a new bow. I'm lookin at the relex excursion. it's got the large brace height, but a short ATA lenth something like 34. Is the short ATA going to make the bow unforgiving. The 8 3/8 bace height should be forgiving enough to shoot fingers. Another question is that if i have a 29 inch draw, i add an inch for finger shooting right. and if i shot with a release, it would just be 29. I think that is a good bow to try. I could shoot it with fingers and if i still can't hit anything i can put sights on it and have a ripping bow.
You can do as you like, but I'd try to stick with a little longer bow to shoot fingers. 34" is pretty short for finger shooting at your drawlength. It can be done, but is less than forgiving due to extreme string angle at full draw. I don't know. The Grizzly might be a better option as it's longer. Longer bow is better for fingers and if ya change to a release it'll just be better anyway. I think I gotta look at their website.

I'll tell ya this. If you're looking at a Hoyt Cam+ 1/2 then I think they are still adjustable for drawlength with a rotating module so this may not be such of an issue at this time. You'll want a large cam model, like 27-30" draw model. And ya don't even need a bowpress to change the module.

I think we're getting someplace now. Just don't get in a big hurry. Look around and shoot a lot of bows. Keep notes and narrow your choices down to a couple. Then go back and shoot theose couple. Ya got a lot of time till hunting season. Take your time
Old 01-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

whats keeping you from modernizing your dad or you really like it. I would suggest just shooting a ow with a simple wrist strap release peep sight and see if you like it and if dont stick with it but if you do go for it but remeber you dont have to follow in his foot steps