Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Building a bow press

Old 01-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Building a bow press

I've almost always worked on my own bows, but had to do it as a wrestler on the carpet, and the newer bows are just getting too hard to take the weight off, take clear down and put back together without taking a chance of screwing something up. Besides, the next bow I own may not even have a dealer/shop in the area, I like to do it myself, and I've always liked adjusting everything myself........getting it the way I want. Any suggestions that will help me in the process? I want to build my press in order to work on parallel limb bows as well as any bow in general.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Building a bow press

I've got welding and fabrication expeirence (Tech Ed teacher), I'd like to build a press also. Does anyone have plans?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Can't help with the plans, but I can offer perspective on what it's like to have a bow press explode in your lap. Let's just say that I'm lucky to have all my fingers and not be singing alto......

That being said, for the 40 bucks a Bowmaster costs, I don't think you can go wrong. I've broken down short ATA bows with up to 70lb limbs without problems. It's not the fastest press, but for "do-it-your-selfers" a few extra moments usually isn't an issue.

Just me two cents......

Fritz
Old 01-15-2006, 05:31 PM

The little portable BowMaster press works awesome. you should check it out and save the cash of a full size press. Took me 3 minutes to pop in some string leeches today.

Best
Old 01-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a link from over at AT of some of the plans for bow presses and some that just had pictures of ones they had built. One looked a lot like the X Press.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=226965
Old 01-16-2006, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

I'm planning on building a bow press as well. Once I come up with some feasible plans.
That said, I was researching some sites about a week ago on the subject and most people replied to the threads author that its dangerous, easy way to break an expensive bow, etc.. Now I've never used a bow press so correct me if I'm wrong. You only put enough pressure on the bow to put slack in the string? This can't be a whole lot of pressure.

Thanks
Dan
Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

If a person doesn't press the bow the right way...sure he can screw it up! A very experienced pro shop screwed up a cam for me once.[:@] I want to make mine adjustable for axle to axle length, varying riser length and limb configuration.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg,

I, too, am about to procure my own press. However, after many endeavors to build things myelf, I've just about come to the conclusion I can have something made professionally -- because of scale of economies -- cheaper and probably better than I can make it myself.

Here's the press I'm going to be ordering in a month or so:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=262693&highlight=toad+press
Old 01-16-2006, 08:34 AM

I too have the bowmaster and have to say it was a great purchase. Its great for field repairs too.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since WWAG doesnt make his press anymore, I'd go with the Ratchet-Lok In cabelas.

Quick Reply: Building a bow press

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.