Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Building a bow press

Old 01-19-2006, 06:04 PM

Default RE: Building a bow press

is it me or does toad's look a lot better than the hydra.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not you... that's why I'm going to be ordering one right after I get moved into my new house. Especially since he's added that new little device to help press the XT and Tributes properly, I don't think it can be touched for the money.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:36 PM

yeah, i had one like the hydra, a cougar jim or something. it didn't ever want to put even pressure on the limbs, or fit my parallel limbs. i finally just sold it and got a wwag. mine should be here in a few days, maybe early next week.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I could ever convince Russ to take an afternoon off from the boards, I'd be the proud owner of a "wwag" as well! I'd even be willing to throw in an extra buck or two over his original asking price!

Then, like you, I'd own the Toad for my permanent home "shop-style" press...
Old 01-20-2006, 10:10 AM

I probably got a little defensive in my last post. I thought I had made it clear that a person should just buy the thing unless they really enjoy this type of project. That's why I included the amount of time it took me to build it. It took a lot longer than I imagined when I looked at the plans. I didn't mind because it was a stress reliever for me - to others it could be a stress inducer.

I agree that the Toad press looks a little better than the hydra, but it is also a lot larger and is not very portable. I built mine as a take-down model and it will fit in a small duffel bag. 2 minute take-down without tools.

I modified the main beam length and made the cable adjustable. It fits my Tribute like an x-press and the limb load is dead even.