Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

proper arrow-what grain?

Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 PM

Default proper arrow-what grain?

I am shootinga Hoyt Vtec 65#, 28.5 draw length and hunt mostly only whitetail deer..I recently bought Gold Tip XT arrows at 26.5" long-seems short but Ripcord rest sits far back. Anyway these arrows weigh 367 grains (including 100 gr tip). To me this seems very light...I was thinking I needed a weight of around 415-420 grains (6g/p/p). I plan on shooting 70# in the near future....Opinions on what weight I should shoot or comparisons of what some of you shoot would be great! Thanks.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Default RE: proper arrow-what grain?

I forgot... they are Gold Tip Xt 5575...and according to the charts I am shooting the correct size
Old 01-04-2006, 04:40 PM

This is a question you will get many different responses on.

I'll be the first sucker to give it a try!!! Your set-up is about right. That's good you are taking the time to view the charts...many don't. The 415-420 is about perfect at 65 pound draw weight in my opinion for hunting whitetail deer.

If you dial your bow up to 70 pounds I would try and stay right around 440-450 grians with your bow. I like to stay around 6.5 grain per pound of draw weight for hunting deer. 5 gpp is for target only and the 8-9 gpp would be for heavy game.

It's hard to get your weight up with these quality GoldTips...I'm looking forward to seeing their new 2006 products. You might want to wait a week before you order anything, so you can check out their new 2006 products. They are all at the 2006 shot show as we speak.

IfGoldTips 2006 line-up doesn't have any heavier arrows, try Eastons new FMJarrows at 9.8 gpi in your 400 spine. They have several other choices for heavier arrows. Try for something right around 8.9 to 9.5 gpi in your 400 spine catagory. That should get your weight up for you and still keep your FOC within limits. The ST Axis Obsessionand the A/C/C all have good ratings. You can also leave your arrows the same length as your draw length to pick up some more weight (18 grains more).

As a last resort and ifwe can get proof that over-spined arrows are more accurate (I'm thinking they are)you can even jump up to a .340 spine class arrow and your weight will fall right into place.

For fun, check outthis link forsome minimum weight listings.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhelp/AMO-Minimum-Arrow-Weight-Chart.htm
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a site you might have some interest in ,it has everything you might need to decide on the proper weight and spine,including finding F.O.C. and spinning your arrow's for straightness,etc,etc,etc.
This site is probably one of the most informative site's you'll find and you amy want tosave it under your favourite's list for future use.

www.bowjackson.com

nubo
Old 01-06-2006, 09:35 AM

When in doubt, go the next step higher in spine. Especially with Goldtips, from what I hear thier chart sucks. Most charts blow actually, they just don't have enough information to be accurate. One of the arrow selection programs currently on the market work much better.

I'm sure some people here have it, maybe someone could run the numbers for your bow and see what comes up. You can get trial versions of them as well. I had two of them and want to buy one, but just can't afford it now. Besides I found the arrows I wanted. The only reason to purchase it would be to help other poeple.

I commend your thinking on arrow weight, most don't think that way any more. However what you have would mostly work and would even be safe up to 70 lbs unless you shoot an extremely fast bow something. As long as the spine is correct for your draw length and weight.

Keep in mind the charts you are looking at do not take into a acount for using an overdraw, which you are. I say regardless of how far back your rest sets, use the correct length arrows for your set up. The correct length is between an inch shorter than your draw length, and the the same length as your draw length. If you are shooting arrows 2 inches shorter than your draw length you are shooting an overdraw and need to take that into consideration when picking an arrow.

Paul
Old 01-06-2006, 09:48 AM

I just looked at the gold tip arrows charts and they don't take any consideration for what your actual draw length is, the type of bow you shoot or anything else.

If you told this chart you are shooting 26 inch arrows it is going to assume you have a shorter draw length since it doesn't ask if you have an overdraw. I understand that either way it still shows the same arrow, but my understanding is gold tip is notorious for being off on the weak side with arrows. If you are looking for more weight my advice is to bump up to the next arrow size and use 28 inch arrows. This will give you more weight and a stiffer spine which will be more consistant from arrow to arrow (another problem with goldtips and other carbon arrows). Normally there is nothing wrong with shooting an arrow on the stiff side, other than shooting more weight than you need. But a weak spine arrow can cause all kinds of problems.

I would say if you can find someone on here with the software have them run your setup and see what arrows it suggests.

Paul
Old 01-06-2006, 10:37 AM

Paul you are correct about GoldTips charts; however, earlier I cross referenced his data off of other programs. He is looking good at the .400 spine (5575) if he keeps his bow at 65 pounds. When or if he dials his bow up to 70 pounds then yes I would recommend the .340 spine (7595)for his set-up.

I have shot 29.5 inch 5575 GT XT Camo Hunters from my 31 inch draw at 65 pounds with speed cams and they were shooting great groups out to 50 yards. I went with the 7595 to give me a better hunting arrow (more weight)and yes more consistency as the arrows age.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Paul!

Your absolutely right about the arrow chart's ,most don't ask enough question's about your setup to be very percise about your KE . That's why I use www.bowjackson.com ,I find that they do nask the question's that most don't .I'd love to purchase the proper hardware if I knew where tyo purchase it .

nubo
Old 01-06-2006, 01:59 PM

The programs like On target and the such are even better yet. They have a database for most bows with the exact effeciency of your set up programed in. Or you can enter it yourself by telling the program how fast it is with a particular weight arrow.

You can also enter a specific draw length and arrow length and it will tell you the proper spine for you set up. Like say you wanted to shoot longer arrows. You just tell the program you have a 27 inch draw but want to shoot 30 inch arrows and will calculate the spine. This is pretty hard to do on a chart or online program since they calculate draw length from from arrow length.

The charts and online arrow selectors are decent and will get you in the ball park, but the actual software is pretty precise if you give it the right info. They also have the correct spine values for different brands of arrows.

Paul
Old 01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well are you gonna answer my question ???? Where can I find this program and at what cost ?
I'm not being sarcastic just very interested in getting this program LOL.

nubo

Quick Reply: proper arrow-what grain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.