Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My Bow Shop Doesn't Even Understand the Point of This????Vital Bow Gear Trapper SLIDE 3 Pin

Old 01-03-2006, 05:33 PM

Default My Bow Shop Doesn't Even Understand the Point of This????Vital Bow Gear Trapper SLIDE 3 Pin

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and to bowhunting - just took my first deer saturday with my bow - and need some help in purchasing a new site. I'm pretty much set on the vital bow gear trapper 3 pin, because I like the vertical setup blah blah blah. I've found online through eagle archery this product by VBG http://shop.eaglearchery.com/browse.cfm/4,3418.html

Idon'tlike the notion of having to make adjustmentswhen my target presents itself - I'm already an adrenaline wreck as it is. My buddy was telling methat when you sight a bowin on flat land, it will shoot higher out of astand - (an elevated position). Is this slide setting to compensate for my elevated position (say it's 17ft)? When I go up,doI measure how high I am, make a one time adjustment, and then shoot thebow as I would fromflat-land? This is long winded, and I may be way off base, but I'm not sure whether to buy the regular trapper 3 pin or the trapperslide 3 pin.

Iappreciate any help and hope I can pass some on to someone inthe future.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Bow Shop Doesn't Even Understand the Point of This????Vital Bow Gear Trapper SLIDE 3 Pin

To be honest. I don't notice any difference under 20ft in elevation. However, the pendulum site should compensate for elevation changes.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Bow Shop Doesn't Even Understand the Point of This????Vital Bow Gear Trapper SLIDE 3 Pin

I am with the bow shop on this one----whats the point on having 3 pins on a slider.1 pin slider systems are nice for the fact its adjustable or you can lock it in at say 25 yards and use 1 pin the 30 yards but the slider system with 3 pins really has me confused.Personally I would just go with the regular 3 pin or a 1 pin slider.
Sitting in a tree stand,shooting down on your intended target is easy,just bend at the waist and release.It will have the same impact as standing on the ground .
Now I was just thinking the slider 3 pin would be great for target shooing out to say 70 yards.20-30-40-50-60-70.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Three pins on a slider just doesn't make any sense to me, at all.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:06 AM

I made one like that and worked pretty well for me. For hunting I see no need with it. The reason I did it was so I could use the 3 pin for hunting, but it was also adjustable for when I wanted to practice at ranges that were further away like 50, 60 and 70 yards.

Paul
Old 01-04-2006, 04:29 AM

I don't see the point in a 3 pin slider except for something like Paul mentioned above. But the fact is you bow WILL shoot differently from a treestand. Physics won't break its rules for us hunters. However at bowhunting ranges and treestand heights you likely won't notice the small difference. Let me explain myself because the whole mess is easily solved. If you are in the stand, say 20ft up and a deer is 30 yards away from the base of your tree but 33 yards away from you, what do you do? Aim for 33 or aim for 30? In short, aim for 30 and your arrow will hit where you aim. This isn't some rule of thumb its dead-on and can be proven by physics equations that are far beyond me. I don't know the math so I just made up the 3 extra yards to make 33, the point is to range the target "from the ground". Like I said earlier its rarely a problem for bowhunters, but give a military sniper a target 442ft below him and 700m from his barrel and he can do the math and come up with a distance far less than 700 meters. He'll aim with that distance in mind (the distance from him and the target if they were on level ground) and hit exactly where he intends. The same thing works for shooting uphill. Lucky for us bowhunters there isn't any math involved...just "guessing from the ground".

Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 AM

very helpful!

I was thinking back to physics classes and appearantly I was on the right track - but it's good to know I need not really worry about it. When I set my stand up, I actually put sticks in the field indicating 15, 25, and 35 yds from the base of the tree. I'm just going to buy the fixed 3 pin. Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:39 AM

i have a 3 pin slider. i like it. its set at 20, 30, 40. then you use the 40 pin when you slide for longer distances. i can shoot out to 120 yards with it, which is a blast watching the arrow fly. however, if you're being an idiot at camp and showing off from 65yards with broadheads, when you go back to the field and have forgot to slide it back in place, you could possibly shoot right over the back of a very mountable deer.pride cometh before the fall.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know all about that, now don't you John.

nubo
Old 01-04-2006, 08:28 PM

yes i do, yes i do.

Quick Reply: My Bow Shop Doesn't Even Understand the Point of This????Vital Bow Gear Trapper SLIDE 3 Pin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.