Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My Bow Shop Doesn't Even Understand the Point of This????Vital Bow Gear Trapper SLIDE 3 Pin

Old 01-05-2006, 05:30 AM

Default RE: My Bow Shop Doesn't Even Understand the Point of This????Vital Bow Gear Trapper SLIDE 3 Pin

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

Physics won't break its rules for us hunters. If you are in the stand, say 20ft up and a deer is 30 yards away from the base of your tree but 33 yards away from you, what do you do? Aim for 33 or aim for 30? In short, aim for 30 and your arrow will hit where you aim. This isn't some rule of thumb its dead-on and can be proven by physics equations that are far beyond me.
You are cose Soilarch!

This can be easily solved using the Pythagorean theorem. If the hight of the stand is "a" and the distance of the deer from the base of the tree is "b" then the formula is......

c(2)=a(2)+b(2) (The parentheses indicate squared)

So a=20 ft b=90 ft

a=400
b=8100

400+8100=8500

the square root of 8500 = 92.195

The deer is 92.195 ft from the ttree stand.

There is also the matter of gravity. Say the shooting from level ground =0 The gravitiational effect on anythig less than zero (downhill) will be negative. The opposite is uphill.

For instance, shooting straight down from the tree stand cancels out gravity. Shooting straight up has the maximum effect from graavity.

Therefore, when shootting from the stand, the gravitational effect will be greater at 20 yards than it will at 10 or 30 yards.

HOWEVER - This is only purely accurate IF the rrow has a constant velocity, which it does not...............

So, in other words, just shoot the darn thing where the sight pin falls! Ond it wouldn't help to shoot a few targets from an elevated position once in a while.......

Sorry for geekig out guys!

Old 01-05-2006, 04:53 PM

Default RE: My Bow Shop Doesn't Even Understand the Point of This????Vital Bow Gear Trapper SLIDE 3 Pin

THAT! Is exactly why I bought the regular old 3 pin. Draw, Fling, Done. By the time I got done with the pythagorem thorem on my TI-85 in the stand, and get the stupid thing set, the deer gets startled by loud, 10 year old PSE 4-maxis and ducks under the arrow or something.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:02 PM

bjanakos, that just ain't good physics. gravity creates the same acceleration towards the center of the earth no matter what directon the arrow is fired. a good rule of thumb is 9.8m/s^2