Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gaining best accuracy from your spine range

Old 01-03-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Gaining best accuracy from your spine range

I was sitting here today thinking about accuracy. Arrow spine came to mind and draw weight effecting my spine had me thinking.

Lets say yourbow requires a 400 spine arrow set-up. You can be on the low end of that spine chart almost a480 spine arrow or you can be all the way up to the upper limit of the 400 spine just this side of a 340 spine arrow.

My question is has anybody ever complied with detailed testing to see what 1/3 margin on the chart provides the best accuracy. 1/3 being the low end of 400 spine chart, 1/3 being right in the middle of a 400 spine chart and the remaining 1/3 being in the upper end of the 400 spine chart. What one has proven to provide the best accuracy?

I can put my arrow spine where ever I want it, by adjusting draw weight or cutting small amounts of length off my arrows. Wanted to get some ideas before I proceed.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:24 PM

Default RE: Gaining best accuracy from your spine range

Wow, that is quite an interesting question. I have never thought of it, nor done any research concerning the subject. i just know one thing, I would rather be overspined than under.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 PM

I would think that it would depend on the individual bow as to what part of the spine range it best shoots.

All I know is when I can shoot x's at 40 yds., my max hunting range, I'm happy.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:44 PM

Lots of top archers shoot perfect indoor scores with arrows WAY over spined.

Don't know how much it matters at close yardage.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

This would be extremel hard to chart because most of the spine issues deal with forgiveness to the shooter.groups will get better but when talking minor differences it is hard to dfferentiate between what is the arrows fault and what is the shooters fault.

For me,I know that when I stay within the perfect spine range to marginally stiff range on my spine,according to my computer program,Archers Advantge.I shoot better scores ,on average than when I get way stiff to slightly underspined.I shoot my absolute best with arrows in the .420-.470 spine range and the .470 is better at distance and that is PERFECT spine according to my program.This may be a testiment to the fact that I need as much forgiveness as I can get.[]

I have a friend who has tested many thousands of arrows out of a shooting machine and as to his results,I can't say for sure but I know he swearsto having the perfect spine to slightly stiff.He tests and shoots arrows at 90 meters and is a world class coach and knows ALOT about this subject.