Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mechanicals

Old 01-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Spike

Default mechanicals

I shoot a #60 Diamond victory, chrono @ 270 fps. I was told at my local pro shop I shouldnt shoot mechanicals because of the "low" draw weight. Does anybody have any experience or advice. I want to use the mechanicalson spring Turkey. Any certain mechanical?

Thanks
Bruce
Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: mechanicals

I imagine the guy at your shop was talking about deer hunting, though there are some mechs that would work for deer atyour draw weight. Smaller ones like the Steelhead, for instance.

Just about any mechanical will workfor turkey with your setup. You don't want passthru hits on turkeys anyway. You want to disable the wings and whack out the vitals. Or take his head off. Anything to keep it on the ground. Turkeys do not leave very good blood trails when they fly off.[&o]

There is a specialtyhead for turkeyI've heard a lot about but haven't had a chance to look at yet. Called theGobbler Guillotine. It's not a mechanical though.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I imagine the guy at your shop was talking about deer hunting, though there are some mechs that would work for deer atyour draw weight. Smaller ones like the Steelhead, for instance.

Just about any mechanical will workfor turkey with your setup. You don't want passthru hits on turkeys anyway. You want to disable the wings and whack out the vitals. Or take his head off. Anything to keep it on the ground. Turkeys do not leave very good blood trails when they fly off.[&o]

There is a specialtyhead for turkeyI've heard a lot about but haven't had a chance to look at yet. Called theGobbler Guillotine. It's not a mechanical though.
What Arthur said is top notch, I think it your speed you would have enough KE for mechanicals on deer, but they would have to be mechanicals like Rocky Mtn Snyper and Snyper XP3, or something like a small Rocket Steelhead.

For turkey, check out the NAP Gobbler Getter, thats all that comes to my mind.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

60 lbs. is enough to get it done with a smaller cutting diameter mechanical for anything up to a deer sized animal (IMHO). You should be fine.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW!

I agree with everyone above.[]

One thing I would mention is that Rocket makes an expandable that is 3 1/2" in diameter(Sledgehammer) and You should probably stay away from them,even on Turkeys.Sadly enough.I am speaking from experience.[:'(]I am pulling 58#'s and 28 1/2" draw length.Low energy like you.I shot a Turkey this spring in the chest and the bird flew up,the arrow fell out and the bird landed about 30 yards away and took off running and I never found the bird.One of the blades bent on the breast one and stopped the arrow dead.It would take a boat load of energy to shoot this head.I would have been fine if I had waited for the bird to turn.

I use Rockeet Steelheads for deer and I bury arrows in the ground on the other side and I feel you can do the same.