Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt Powertec?

Old 12-28-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Hoyt Powertec?

I had a situation come up with my Powertec and I didn't know if anyone has had a problem similar to mine with a Hoyt or any other bow?

I purchased a 2006 Hoyt Powertec Monday evening. I had the opportunity to shoot this bow and really liked it. Well needless to say I went ahead and got this bow. I took it home and drew it back a couple times and started to notice a pop in the lower cam when I had it at full draw. It didn't seem to have a very firm back wall and I couldn't get the feel like it would get in the pocket for the let off if that makes sense. Well it was pretty late so I went to bed. I got up the next morning and I wanted to try my release aid to see how it fit. I pulled it back and I felt the pop again. All of a sudden POP! I had this bow for less than 24 hours and the string just blew up. I couldn't beleive it. I know that it is a no no to pull back a bow with a release aid due to a possible dry fire. This release was still attatched to the loop on the string so I know i didn't accidently pull the release trigger. I took the bow back to the shop and they found the problem. One of the cams was loose on the bottom. That loosened the string on the top cam when I pulled back and it pulled the string off of the cam and POP. The stringbustedwhere it wraps up around the top cam. I have never had this happen before, but I have only owned one other compound bows.

I don't mean to spam, but I do have to say that the shop Town Hall Archery in Belleville Illinois took great care of me. They took the bow, found out the problem, offered me a brand new bow at no charge to me. I can't say enough of their service.

I was just curious if anyone else had shared in this problem. I do have to say I am a little worried this will happen again. I have heard nothing but Great Things about Hoyt and their line of products. I just want to make sure I don't do anything to mess up my new bow. Thanks guys for any info or opinions you have to offer.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hoyt Powertec?

I doubt that you will have the problem again but atleast you know what to look and listen for.Keep an eye on it and I believe that you wil soon forget about it.