Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BAMM! What happened?

Old 12-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default BAMM! What happened?

I was at the range today getting my pins set up for my new arrows and shooting just fine when all of a sudden, I got whacked on the cheekbone like someone slugged me. I thought the bow exploded! It was mystring that broke.

This bow (Rage One) is a couple of years old and probably has 1000 shots on it max. I didn't see any signs of a weak string, just a little fuzz here and there. A couple of questions. I'm pretty new to all of this so please bear with me.

How often should you change your string?
How do you maintain your string?
What do you look for as a sign that your string is about to go?
Are there good/better/best strings?
How do I know what length I need?
Do you also have to replace any cables or other stuff when this happens?
Can I re-do it myself or should I take it in to a shop?
What's it going to cost me to re-string it?
Will they install my peep back in the new string and will I have to sight it in again?

Thanks and by the way, a string breaking will smack you pretty good. Change it out BEFORE it happens.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:09 PM

Default RE: BAMM! What happened?

Every year or so you should change it if you keep waxed and shoot it a lot.

Wax your string often with string wax. This will keep it lubed and prevent wear.

Sometimes like you found out, they will go without warning. A lot of times its under the end servings near the cams where it makes sharp turns.

There are better strings than come on a stock bow. Companies such as winners choice or vapor trail, as well as members of this board build quality strings that offer more performance over your stock string.

It should say the length of your string and cable on a sticker on your limb. If not, a proshop should be able to find out.

You should probably go ahead and replace the cables too so that they get broke in together.

I would take it into a shop and have them install the string and check over anything else that may have gone wrong when the string broke.

Cost depends on who builds your strings and if you have them installed or not.

Yes they will put your peep back in for you and you will have to breakin and resight your bow when you get new strings.

Hope this answered many of your questions.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get in touch with Gibblet on this forum he makes awesome strings. You should never see fraying. To maintain your stings they should be waxed frequently, I usually do it after each time I shoot. Yes, you can put your peep on, but it's best to shoot 150- 200 arrows for best results before reinstalling your peep. I had a new bow cable break on me, Yes it's quite a shock, makes you inspect your bow, and will give you a new found respect for it.
Bob <><
Old 12-26-2005, 09:23 PM

sometimes one that hasn't stretched, and all the sudden it starts stretching, that can be a sign. i'd get a wax with silicon in it. i like
bcy-ml6.

gosh, i bet that was wild. i've got hit in the face by flying individual cat whiskers, string leaches, and the like, and it sure got my attention.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:14 AM

Even a factory machine built string should last a lot longer than that. You didn't say where the string broke. That is very important information. You need to know if it's possible a bur on a cam cut it. If it broke where the release attaches, the problem could be with your release. In fact, if it broke where the peep attaches, it's possible it was installed incorrectly, or a strand broke on installation.

No sense in replacing a string, until you know the new string won't break because of problem unrelated to the contruction of the string.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:19 AM

improper storage of the bow will shorten its life for sure also.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think strings should be swapped out every year to 18 months. When I was shooting compounds, I generally changed cables every other timeI changed the string. The expense of keeping compounds up and properly maintainedis yet another reason I quit using them.

I do think changing cables after having a string break is a very smart thing to do though!

Even with stickbows though, I've seen fastflight and 450 strings go bad long before showing signs of it. After a year or so, it would suddenly seem like all the life had gone out of the bow, not much snap in the limbs, arrow flight would go bonkersand arrow speeds would drop off. No amount of tuning would get it all back. Put a fresh string on the bow and it was like brand new again.

I think it's easier to see such problems with stickbows though. When you don't have a lot of speed to start with, a 10-15 fps drop will stick out like a sore thumb. With a compound shooting 100 fps faster, the problem will stillbe there butbarelynoticeable.

Maybe some of these professional string tycoons and magnates () could give us some insight on why performace would drop off like that. I think it's a warning sign, although a compound shooter probably wouldn't really notice unless he regularly shot through a chrony.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:54 AM

i'd have to make something up, and you'd bust me like usual.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:52 AM

I thought I should clarify my earlier post. When I said "longer", I should have said "for more shots". Many of the modern string materials are more brittle and should be replaced regularly, even if not shot very much. "How" they are made is very important and I'm used to my own strings, which will not normally have a problem when well over two years old and shot very little.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Rev has spoken some wise word's here ,Gibblet is the man on our forum about string and cable's . I would suggest keeping your string and cable's waxed almost everytime you use it, or at least every other time . As Gibblet say's storage could be the factor why your string has broken ,if it's been away for a couple year's sitting and not being used much and also hasn't been waxed after being put away for a long period of time,then it's bound to dry out.
When your string start's to fizz up on you ,this is a sign of a string that need's wax ,the more you wax it the better shape your string will be ,it's best to wax often before frizzing appear's .As for changing your string ,if you have a proper press then it can be done without going to the shop ,but I would also suggest installing new cable's with your string ,it's just nice to have everything fresh and new ,nothing worse than installing a new string and then since your string broke possibly because of being in bad shape ,so most likely the cable will be in the same condition, so mchange them both and it will save alot of agrivation in the near future .
Ipromise you if you contact the Gib ,he'll give you a sweet deal on a complete set .As far as your peep you'll need to shootin [settle]the new string and cable's before you install your peep after 50 or 60 shot's should do the trick.
As for the cost you'll have to contact Gib on that ,but I'll say it won't hurt your bank account .Also your string and cable length should be written on a sticker that should be found on the inside of one of your limb's ,if it's not there then if you give John the make and model of your bow ,I'm sure he'll do a search to find it for you .

Good luck and remember to keep that string and cable waxed and you won't have to change it as often.

nubo

Quick Reply: BAMM! What happened?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.