Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow help

Old 12-27-2005, 10:48 AM

Default RE: bow help

Once you get much better form and are really consistent with it you'll have learned more about tuning because you'll most likely be doing some along the way.
You know when ppl use to mention form I use to let it go in one ear and out the other, but I could tell a major increase in confidence on particular shots when my form was perfect. I can't describe it, I could tell I was looking straight down the arrow at the pins, my anchor point on my face was perfect, my release was perfect (did you know you can flinch shooting a bow? LOL), everything was perfect and I knew before the arrow hit, that it was going to be a perfect shot placement. I will get down out of the stand like you said, I love you guys advice, I just hope we can keep in touch till next year, I really want to do more bowhunting than gun next year. I was planning on doing a little thisyear before the 8th (last day) but I dont 'know if I want to risk wounding a deer, plus, I dont' know how hard it will be to bowhunt this late in the season right after gun season.

As far as the DL, the guy at the bow shop said it looked good. I am going to get a shorter release to help even more. He did recommend not putting a loop on the string but I really wanted one because it was a new string and I didn't want to ruin it. He fixed one up pretty short for me. All in all they were really helpful and nice and hardly charged me anything. the only thing I was charged for was the string.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:55 PM

I'm still thinking you should make your first pin 20 yards and your second pin 30 yards.

At closer distances like 15 yards your 20 yard pin should hit in practically the same location. The advantage to a 20 yard pin and a 30 yard pin is you will be covered from 35 yards on in. Plus I don't think getting within 15 yards for a new bow hunter is practical. Not being mean, just saying15 yards would not be what I would expect or plan on in the field. 25 yards is more realistic.

Furthermore, when you have your first pin at 15 yards yoursecond pin will always be too close and obstruct yourview. If I only had 2 pins to work with, I would make the most of it and have the trajectory skewed on the far side of what I am comfortable with shooting.

My first pin is at 30 yards...everything from 30 yardsand closer the arrow hits within 1 inch accuracy. Second pin is 40 yards and so on. Between myfirst and second pin is 35 yards.

What bow are you shooting and how heavy are your arrows?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:54 PM

I am shooting a PSE Nova. My arrows are 429.2 with nocks, tips and all. But I have shorter DL now and these arrows are 29 inches long and are 2400s, the ones I need with my new DL are 2300s. that could be also a problem. My DW is 70, I dont have a problem shooting that but I like lighter weight so I may end up changing it again.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:55 PM

i will do wha tyou said and change my 15 pin to a 20 yarder. I am leaving ot do that right now LOL.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:18 PM

i hope you're not driving, rotfl.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:10 PM

backyard, one of the many benefits of living out in teh country