Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

stabilizer length

Old 12-22-2005, 11:36 AM

Default stabilizer length

I was told that the more weight you have on your bow, that you can stand, the more stabile the bow will be . Well, I am shooting a hoyt vipertec and if I go with a heavier stabilizer it will have to be longer. So in turn it pivots forward after I shoot.I see these target and 3d shooters with long stabilizers on thier bows and I wonder if the extra weight out weights the rotating of the bow. Any advice is welcomed.

thanks.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stabilizer length

I shoot one of those long stabilizers on one of my bows. Check some of them out for yourself, but I can tell you they weigh almost nothing. The whole idea is similar to a tight-rope walker. They use a long pole for stabilization because it works better than a short one. The same holds true for archery. The longer stabilizer minimizes the movements of the bow better. That's one of the reasons I use a 12" model on my hunting bow. MUch longer would not be practical, but 12" works well.

Adding weight to the bow to balance it is also a purpose, along with noise and vibration dampening. Some add weight to give the bow more mass weight, also making the bow more steady to aim. There's always a point of compromize while doing so.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:40 AM

I shoot with2 setsof the simms modules and a small dampner on the end. this has worked great on 2 bows an ulta mag and pro 40 freedom. I am going to put the extension it comes with to try and get a little more lenght on it and see how that works.
When I first got the ultra mag I had a 4inch doinker on it, once I swithed to the simms accuracy improved drastically
Old 12-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a rigid stabilizer 10” to 12” with a solid mount to the bow. Then I add weight to the end of the stabilizer to balance or make the top of the bow fall forward after the shot. This way you add little mass weight to the bow, but enough to balance and stabilize your bow arm for a steady hold and reduced shock when the arrow is released. Rubber mounts and stabilizer will change with temperature. In very cold weather the rubber will harden and will impact a tuned setup.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

If you're talking target stabilizers, I don't like the longs ones past 30".
I prefer my custom 21" and 26" Genesis with the sliding weight that can be adjusted to balance your bow perfectly.
Had a 36" and 39" and sold them because they were too cumbersome.
Don't want my bow tilting forward after the shot; prefer it tostay upright.

Sag.