Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

knock height question

Old 12-21-2005, 08:39 AM

Default knock height question

How will a change in my knock height and rest height affect my sight settings? More specifically: if I move my knock height 1/8"down and also move my restdown to obtain good arrow flight, will the arrow impact higher, lower, or the same as before? The reason I am asking is because the tech just set my bow up with a higher than expected knock point. I am getting good arrow flight, but my sights are a lot higher and I am running out of adjustment on the upside. Thoughts?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: knock height question

Sounds like another dipstick 'bow tech' who doesn't have enough sense to make sure the bow is in tiller before setting it up. [:@]

Measure your tiller. Stretch a string across your axles and measure from the belly of the limbs at each end of the riser to the string. If the readings are not the same, adjust the limb bolts to make them the same.

Lower your arrow rest so the arrow is sitting level with the bolt hole in the riser.

Lower your nock height so the arrowsits at90 degrees with the string.

Now, you can leave things as is and retune from there or, you can go a bit further and fine tune the tiller to fit your shooting style.

Draw the bow slowly while watching the sights. If they want to pull up, add a bit of draw weight to the bottom limb, take some off the top limb, or both. If the bow wants to pull down during the draw, take draw weight off the bottom limb, add to the top limb or both.

The end result you want is for the bow to sit steady in your hand through the entire draw cycle. It's easy to do and generally only takes a small tweak or two on the limb bolts. The end result is well worth the extra little bit of effort though. The bow will hold steadier and shoot with less noise and vibration, not to mention being MUCH easier to tune.

Now, when you get the bow in tiller, readjust your nock height. You'll have to adjust your peep so you can see through it again. Then you can tune the bow and get it sighted in.