Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

help with a shooting problem

Old 12-16-2005, 12:22 PM

Default help with a shooting problem

I have a hard time putting the string close to my face when drawing back. I know your suppose to do this so you can aim "straight down" inline with the pins. I am afraid of the string hitting my lip or my nose. What to do?

I have been shooting from a stand I put up in my backyard and today I was shooting and I wasn't getting groups. I would shoot twice and those arrows would be really close, about .5 inches maybe less. then i'd shoot two more arrows and those would be in a different area of the target but still .5 or less inches close together. I think the first two were lung shots and the 2nd two where a little high on the shoulder shots. Is this normal or do I need more practice?

I have noticed that sometimes my arrows shoot left, far left, missing the whole target, could this be a shooter problem?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 PM

Default RE: help with a shooting problem

That is one of the most common things for a new archer. They are either afraid of the string hitting thier face or arm. With proper form and the right fit it shouldn't happen.

When I draw I like the string to lightly touch the tip of my nose and lightly lay against the side of the face (the corner of my mouth). Don't dig into your face or force the string into it. I promise you will not get hurt. You might feel the string slide past your lips or face but it shouldn't hurt you. The only way to over come it is to just do it.

The exception to this is if you have some odd peircings in your nose or lip that the string could catch. This could be very dangerous and if you have them I highly suggest removing them.

Here is pic of how I shoot. It's not perfect form, but it works well for me. The best way to learn is either have someone compitent watch you shoot. Or take pictures of yourself shooting and compare it to pictures of pros. I looked at lots of pictures of pro shooters and just tried to emulate what they did. To be honest you can shoot any way you want to as long as you do it consistantly. But without some solid anchor points it will be hard to be consistant, as you are finding out.

Good luck,

Paul
Old 12-16-2005, 02:49 PM

I will also note that what you are experiancing is almost impossible to diagnose over the net. Someone would have to watch you shoot. There are so many things that could cause what you are seeing.

How do you shoot off from the ground? I commend you for getting in a stand and practicing, but I think you should get proficient on the ground first. Then practice from a stand. Because shooting from a stand will only make it harder and when you are first starting out you don't need to make it harder than it needs to be. It will only kill your confidence and cause you to form bad habbits.

This is why I always tell people they should start shooting at least a year before they hunt. While you can teach someone to shoot fairly well in a short amount of time I feel it takes a bit longer to gain the confidence and combine the skills you need.

Bowhunting is so hard because it combines two different skills that are hard to learn and do consistantly. I know plenty of guys that can shoot great, but can't seem to kill deer to save thier lives. Then I know others that are not the greatest target shooters I have seen but seem to never miss on game in a hunting situation.

Paul
Old 12-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

The string shouldn't come past the tip of your nose. If it is, your draw length is to long and this would definately cause your groups to open up. As stated above you must anchor the release hand against your face to acheive consistency. There are a couple formulas for figuringdraw length. All you need to do is measure your wingspan (tip of middle finger to tip of middle finger).

1st. wing span minus 15'' divided by 2

2nd. wing span divided by 2 1/2

If your draw length is correct it may be one ofmany other form problems.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:05 PM

I've been thinking my DL might be an inch or maybe half too long. I did what you said and I came up with 10.2 LOL. My wing span is around 66 inches. I am measuring it myself, trying to atleast. Is there a way I can shorten the DL an inch or so without a bow press?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of bow?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:48 PM

I have noticed that sometimes my arrows shoot left, far left, missing the whole target, could this be a shooter problem?
yes it could and probabaly is.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:54 PM

Its a PSE NOva.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:47 AM

That is one of the funniest statements I read in long time, but true I would imagine.

The exception to this is if you have some odd peircings in your nose or lip that the string could catch. This could be very dangerous and if you have them I highly suggest removing them.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:34 AM

ok so its a PSE nova.

Quick Reply: help with a shooting problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.