Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

help with a shooting problem

Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: help with a shooting problem

utm, with a 66'' wingspan the first method I stated above puts you at 25.5'' draw length. The second puts you at 26.4''. So, is this a little shorter than your current setting? I'm not sure on your bow, but I would guess that you will need a bow press to adjust draw length.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:12 AM

well I just went and looked in the mirror while I drew my bow and I guess I never really paid any attention to it while shooting but my trigger finger on my release is touching my ear LOL its way too far back. No wonder I can't hit anything, pulling back 70 pounds all the way that far back, while moving all around LOL good grief. I need to get this fixed.

On that note, I did shoot a friends bow and I thought it was just because his was one of those "expensive" bows. His draw weight and length was a whole lot less than mine and I like shooting his and I shot perfect groups with his. I don't like pulling back 70 pounds, I can with no problems but I'd much rather pull back 60 or 65, know what I mean?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, depending on wheel or cam is on the bow you may not need a bow press, If it's a single cam then maybe all you need to do is change to a shorter module. If yours has round wheels with three diffenrent slots in it then, yes, you need a bowpress.

Within certain parameters, with a 66" wingspan you should be shooting around 26-27" drawlength.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:44 AM

sorry but I just don't have a clue what you just said. Here is the bow I have.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jsp?id=0032851416781a&navCount=1&podI d=0032851&parentId=cat600266&navAction=jum p&cmCat=MainCatcat21424&catalogCode=QS&amp ;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600266&a mp;hasJS=true
Old 12-17-2005, 01:04 PM

how much are the cams that I need?

what kind do I need?
Old 12-17-2005, 05:41 PM

It certainly sounds as if your draw length is to long. Once you have that adjusted you may want to install a kisser button. The kisser should be just above the knock and just touch the corner of your mouth. I like this because i allows me to anchor at the same spot every draw which is important for consistency. Consider findinga local bow shop that can get you set up correctly - could mean a lot less headaches.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:18 PM

so what cams do I need?

how much do they run price wise?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

UTM,

You don't need any cams. OK, you got the Synergy wheels on your bow. There should be about 5-6 slots on the side that your string can fit into. To shorten your bow you will definitely need a bow press. I seriously doubt that you will be able to shorten the bow to your drawlength. If you got what you said (Cabela's) above and it's a 70lb'er then the shortest you will be able to go is 27". In other words, you lack experience, and whoever sold you the bow is an idiot, too, as they sold you a bow that doesn't fit you.

If you should need new cams you should go to a proshop and get them. They will most likely have to order them from PSE. Not many shops stock these items. The other problem with smaller cams is that you lose peak weight from the bow, but you did say that you like a little less, so it might work anyway. The only way to find out is to go to a good pro-shop (not Cabela's) and see what they have to say. You might also get on the phone to PSE and tell them what you'd like to do. Maybe they can make it work or maybe not, but they'll tell you if it can be done and what to expect from the change.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:32 PM

so what shoudl I so? Just sell ti and get a bow that fits me?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably, if it were me that's what I'd do. But before you buy again you should do a whole lot of homework. By that I basically mean finding out what size should fit you. You are not going to find this out at WalMart or KMart.

I know some of us sound like a broken record, but go to a good pro-shop to get fitted up. AH HA, now how do you know a good pro-shop from a not-so-good one? Well, for starters we've already told you about that your drawlength should be so part of the job is done. Look for bows that have an adjustable drawlength module or at least one that you can change mods to adjust the draw. A couple that come to mind are Martin, Hoyt, Reflex, Parker, Darton. There are others.

If I recall some of the posts you also have an issue with a 70 pound bow, correct? Well, let me tell ya something , son. Todays bow are much more efficient than 30 years ago and we killed lots of deer with 50-55 pound bows back then. Today 60# will take care of anything walking in North America. However, once you get a bow fitted close to your optimum drawlength you may find that 70# will draw easier. And there is nothing wrong with turning one down to 65# if it matters.

Quick Reply: help with a shooting problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.